After Forced Update Services Are Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottintexas

Programming Experience
5-10
I opened a legacy VB program in Visual Studio that I have been maintaining for years. I was hit with a dialog box that said .Net 4.2 was no longer supported and I had to upgrade to 4.7. No way to just say no or postpone. Either accept or exit. I had to work on it so I accepted. After clearing over 400 errors it still wont compile. It lost track of namespaces, and most importantly, the Web Services. I have a Service Reference That has a folder called LimsAppService. In this folder are 37 files. But the don't show up in the solution explorer under the folder name like they do in an ancient copy of the code I found on a network file share. There is also a Web References Folder with two sub folders and none of the files that should be listed are there either. I have tried to go to the Project properties ->References ->LimsAppService Update. It went through the motions of updating, but nothing in the solution changed. I checked the vbproj file and there are a lot of <None> entries. Changing any of them to <Compile> made no difference. And finally I tried adding the files by using the Add from the context menu, but it doesn't give me an option to add the existing files.

How do I get the references back into the solution so it will compile?

I am not familiar with Web Services or Service references. Until now, they have been there and just worked. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps you meant to post in the sister forum VB.NET Developer Community ?

Not really. I believe this is a Visual Studio problem. This program runs 24/7 and services sites globally. Since VS forced me to try to upgrade it will not compile. I am down to two main problems. The WebServiceClient is not defined and the namespace ThisProgram.LimsAppService doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. I believe both of these problems will be solved if I could get the
MissingFilesInLimsAppService.PNG
This is how it looks.

This is how it should look.
HasFiles.PNG

Sorry about the red out. But I don't need security on me about sharing restricted info. There are a lot more files that go here. Somewhere in the "Upgrade" a configuration was changed, a file was lost or VS just blew it off. I don't know which.

I'd remake the references; theyre autogenerated anyway. This is one of the areas of VS that has renamed and changed over the years

Right click references, Choose Add Service Reference, paste the URL to your WSDL in and end up with generated files under "Connected Services"

1675885143185.png

Last edited:
Not really. I believe this is a Visual Studio problem.

This site is called C# Forums and is dedicated to forums for C# development, only C# matters are discussed at this site. Closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom