Application hanging when testing SQL connection

MattNorman

Programming Experience
1-3
I have implemented some checks to a settings form in my app to validate some of the data and test DNS resolution and SQL connections.

For some reason, if I purposely enter an incorrect username and password for the SQL database, my test function hangs without catching any exceptions. The app eventually crashes with a 'Managed Debugging Assistant 'ContextSwitchDeadlock' error.

Here is the code for the SQL connection test:

C#:
public static bool TestDatabaseConnection(string Server, string Username, string Password)
        {
            SqlConnectionStringBuilder testbuilder = new SqlConnectionStringBuilder();
            testbuilder["Server"] = Server;
            testbuilder["User"] = Username;
            testbuilder["Password"] = Password;

using (SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(testbuilder.ConnectionString))
            {
                try
                {
                    connection.Open();
                    return true;
                }
                catch (Exception e)
                {
                    Console.WriteLine(e.Message);
                    return false;
                }
            }
        }

Can anyone think of a reason this might be failing? There must be a way of being able to test the SQL connection with invalid credentials and have it return an exception on failure.

Solution
I have implemented some checks to a settings form in my app to validate some of the data and test DNS resolution and SQL connections.

For some reason, if I purposely enter an incorrect username and password for the SQL database, my test function hangs without catching any exceptions. The app eventually crashes with a 'Managed Debugging Assistant 'ContextSwitchDeadlock' error.

C#:
public static bool TestDatabaseConnection(string Server, string Username, string Password)
        {
            testbuilder["Password"]...
Is this a matter of invalid username/password, or invalid server name? From my experience, the long logon happens in the case of a bad server name. If the client can talk to the server, the invalid password error comes back quickly from my experience.

C#:
        {
            testbuilder["Password"] = Password;

using (SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(testbuilder.ConnectionString))
            {
                try
                {
                    connection.Open();
                    return true;
                }
                catch (Exception e)
                {
                    Console.WriteLine(e.Message);
                    return false;
                }
            }
        }

Can anyone think of a reason this might be failing? There must be a way of being able to test the SQL connection with invalid credentials and have it return an exception on failure.
It actually turned out to be a silly mistake on my part.

I had a custom message box being displayed in dialog mode and the issue was with that form being shown rather than the database test.

Thanks for the reply

Solution
Back
Top Bottom