Question Bulding a GTA 5 Server

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello all,

I am new to the community and learning C#. I wanted to get involved because I am wanting to make my GTA 5 FiveM server. Now I fully understand this will not be an easy task. It takes years to master anything and nothing you learn in the vast of a few months can be without failure. I am starting this thread to ask what type of task am I getting myself into? Once learned would C# be the best language to use for this type of venture and where else can I take this? I will be honest I am a new one to this world. It's not my "specialty" if you will. I am more of a social networker and marketing kind of guy. Thing is, when I see my friends and I try to find a "home server" it's always some non-sense involved. Ego driven administration, copy and past "developers", and so much non-sense that this list would take forever but if you have ever been in my shoes or dealt with this kind of annoyance I feel you deeply and I hope you feel mines.

With that introduction out the way, have at me

What am I getting into by trying to do it? I hear C# is better for coding the servers. Since I never coded before what am I getting into by taking on this kinda order as a noob

That's a good question, I wish I could answer it but I have no idea what a "GTA 5 FiveM server" is. I'm familiar with a couple types of Linux and of course Windows servers of which C# programs will run fine on Windows servers but for Linux you'll need Xamarin (VS2017 or VS2019) or I think Mono is still quite popular.

Unfortunately without knowing what the server is that you're coding for or what you're stuck on in your program I'm not going to be able to help you.

That's a good question, I wish I could answer it but I have no idea what a "GTA 5 FiveM server" is. I'm familiar with a couple types of Linux and of course Windows servers of which C# programs will run fine on Windows servers but for Linux you'll need Xamarin (VS2017 or VS2019) or I think Mono is still quite popular.

Unfortunately without knowing what the server is that you're coding for or what you're stuck on in your program I'm not going to be able to help you.

So here is what I am hearing. Most of the servers use ESX (lua) when it comes to its scripts. This gives you things like

So when you place certain scripts you can these kind of features to your server. Now where is C# comes in is these ESX codes are trash (or so I am told) so C# is better as its easy to communicate these with community but I am guess you would have to wrewrite it all or take the esx and convert it to C#. Again this is what I am hearing

This seems like what you're looking for: FiveM Documentation ("SCRIPTING IN C#")
I know nothing about this as well, it just appeared in a general web search.

As I understand that is a "hello world" sample for FiveM scripting (?) in C#, it probably doesn't get easier than that if that is what you want to do.
Since I never coded before
You need general C# knowledge first in any case, no matter what you want to do with it, so find some C# tutorials and work through the basics of the language, then look back at the sample and see if you understand the code they've provided.

Back
Top Bottom