Question Dashboard design question

rog_rickert

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello, I'm new to C# and UI design. I have a broad question as I'm just starting out.

I'm creating a desktop app with Visual Studio. The dashboard will have multiple tabs, each loading a form where the user can enter different settings. What is the best way to save that info when the user is navigating back and forth between forms. The info is being entered in using comboboxes, textboxes and updown boxes. I've just started playing around and when I move from one tab to another and then return to the original form, the previously entered data/selections are cleared. I know I can do this by saving the selection to static variables and then reloading them each time the form is accessed. I also know that static variables are said to be avoided.

any info to point me in the right direction is appreciated.

thanks,

Rog

Are you really building a dashboard? A dashboard is meant to be readonly and let users have a information in an easily digestible form.

Dashboard wasn't the right term, sorry about that. It will accept user inputs from the different forms and then when they are satisfied with all of their entries, there is another button where they can submit all of the settings they entered. This will eventually write the settings to an arduino. I'm just starting out and learning as I go and was wondering if there was a good way to keep that info present on all of the forms while they can navigate back and forth between them.

Create a settings object. Pass that object to all the tabs/forms. When you are ready, read the values from the settings object and send them to the Arduino.

Back
Top Bottom