C#:
public class Cart
{
public int CartDetailsId { get; set; }

public int CartHeaderId { get; set; }

public DateTime  StartingDate { get; set; }

public int Count { get; set; }
}

I have List<Cart> subsequently produce a text file with above column headers. My question is- how can i format the StartingDate into the format i want using string.Format() string method in the model above so i don't have to loop into the list to do it after the fact?

something like

C#:
  public Date  StartingDate { get; set; } =string.Format()??

thanks.

You cannot do it ahead of time directly in your data structure (without being stringly-typed instead of strongly-typed). The internal date/time is stored as a 64-bit (or was it 128-bit?) number. It's only at output time that the string representation of the date/time is printed out. By default the string representation is dependent on your current UI settings, so for example if you set your dates to always have YYYY/MM/dd, and times to be HH:mm:ss, then that's what would be output.

If you want to influence how the date/time is displayed as a string:
  • use the ToString() method passing in a format string;
  • use the formatting options of WriteLine() or interpolated strings;
  • use a custom culture with your preferred formatting; OR
  • change your system settings with your preferred formatting.

You cannot do it ahead of time directly in your data structure (without being stringly-typed instead of strongly-typed). The internal date/time is stored as a 64-bit (or was it 128-bit?) number. It's only at output time that the string representation of the date/time is printed out. By default the string representation is dependent on your current UI settings, so for example if you set your dates to always have YYYY/MM/dd, and times to be HH:mm:ss, then that's what would be output.

If you want to influence how the date/time is displayed as a string:
  • use the ToString() method passing in a format string;
  • use the formatting options of WriteLine() or interpolated strings;
  • use a custom culture with your preferred formatting; OR
  • change your system settings with your preferred formatting.

ok thanks, that makes sense. i will convert to the format after the fact with the help of our friend
C#:
ToString()

You can be a little tricky and make it look like it was stored with that formatted date/time. For example the code below exposes a FormattedStartingDate which call ToString() on the actual value and returns that formatted value:
C#:
public class Cart
{
    public int CartDetailsId { get; set; }
    public int CartHeaderId { get; set; }
    public DateTime  StartingDate { get; set; }
    public int Count { get; set; }

public string FormattedStartingDate => StartingDate.ToString("YYYY/MM/dd");
}

And then you might be able to add attributes so the DateTime version is ignored by the (e.g. csv) library you're using to write your file

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom