Developing an inventory management system integrated with Cash Register using .NET Technology

Kayuzz

Programming Experience
10+
Please, I need guidelines on the best and effective development approach/method into developing an inventory and accounting management system that will handle transactions using cash register for medium size store.

The application will control the basic cash register operations like opening drawer, receipt printing and payments.

It's going to be a web application but should be able to control and respond com component operations such as drawer opening, receipt printing, barcode scanning etc. on the local computer system.

The 2 major tools I'm planning to use are C#.NET and JavaScript.

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Sounds like an interview question...

What have you researched so far so that we don't repeat what you have already found?

As an aside, there is no such thing as "C#.NET". Also C# and JavaScript are languages, not tools.

Sounds like an interview question...

What have you researched so far so that we don't repeat what you have already found?

It's a real life situation. I'm developing the solution for pharmaceutical store.

I know that Microsoft has Point of Service for .NET (POS for .NET) library, however its basically for a desktop app. To use it with a web app will require some make-shift connection which I'm trying to avoid.

I'm hoping to develop a web app with different facing for each usage i.e. public/cashier face to handle item payments and receipting. And the backend face for the manager's inventory and accounting.

I realized I might need to use Windows Communication Foundation framework to build the required services with the local system. But I'm not clear on how to approach the development to avoid foundational mistakes.

It's a new area for me, but I want to get it right (the design and development) and that's the reason for reaching out.

Unless you are running the web app locally, it doesn't really make sense to have a web app based point of sale. How will the app running in a web browser be able to escape the browser sandbox to be able to send signals to the cash register to open and close the till or perform other functions?

Or by web app do you just mean using UI from web based technologies, eg. something like Electron?

Unless you are running the web app locally, it doesn't really make sense to have a web app based point of sale. How will the app running in a web browser be able to escape the browser sandbox to be able to send signals to the cash register to open and close the till or perform other functions?

Or by web app do you just mean using UI from web based technologies, eg. something like Electron?

Hi, Thanks for you response.

Having considered the browser sandbox and difficulty to control com components being the reason I'm here. I needed to consult experts on possibilities.

So, in other words, you are not advising I toe the part of a web app for the solution?

I guess I'll going by my initial approach of developing two separate apps as a solution (a desktop app for the cashiers and web app for the managers sharing same DB).

For maximum flexibility, setup all the business logic behind a set of web services. Your web app can talk to that web service. Your desktop app would also talk to the web service. In future, you could also have a mobile app that the managers or sales clerks could also use to talk to the web service. Unless you are still living in the 80's and 90's, never let apps (web, desktop, or mobile) talk to the database directly.

For maximum flexibility, setup all the business logic behind a set of web services. Your web app can talk to that web service. Your desktop app would also talk to the web service. In future, you could also have a mobile app that the managers or sales clerks could also use to talk to the web service. Unless you are still living in the 80's and 90's, never let apps (web, desktop, or mobile) talk to the database directly.

No, I'm living in the same time as you are 😂.

I believe you are right, and this is my best approach.

I would only need your help to point me in the direction where to get sufficient resources on learning how to achieve this, i.e. could be any text, audio or video materials, sample codes would be particularly appreciated.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom