First c# project - need help where to start

NPC1977

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello. I am an absolute beginner to c# coding (this is my first project having only previously done small things in VB) so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I am looking to create a program to generate an SQL script and save it to clipboard. The script will be like "select * from table1 where value 1 = 'x' and value 2 = 'x' and value 3 = 'x' and value 4 = 'x' order by column2". I was looking to have values 1-4 as input from text boxes on a form but the rest of the text to be non changeable (hidden from the form maybe?), and then a button to paste the results to clipboard. Any tips/ideas would be appreciated.

Which part are you having an issue with? getting user input, combining it with other text and copying text to the Clipboard are three unrelated tasks and should be treated that way. One of the biggest reasons that beginners have trouble getting things done is that they treat a compound operation as a single unit. The principle of divide an conquer is critical in software development. You need to break the problem down into its most basic components and then address each one individually. Anything that you don't already know how to do will be much easier to research that way.

For example, you can research how to use TextBoxes on a form without any regard for what you're going to do with the data entered into them by the user. Once you've got that data, you can research how to combine multiple parts into a single string with no regard for where those parts come from or how the result will be used. Etc.

I suggest that you try that approach and come back if and when you encounter a specific issue with one of the elementary tasks. Once that is addressed, if you encounter another issue then you can start another thread, with all and only the information relevant to the new issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom