Geofence Functionality in MVC using google Maps

chrisvell88

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi All,

I am developing a driver booking app and require drivers to set a geofence on googlemaps to set boundaries on the regions where they operate. Im using ASP.NET MVC and need to:

- Allow user to draw a polygon on the map setting his/her boundaries
- Save coordinates in database using Entity Framework
- Load boundaries on page when user accesses his/her profile
- Search if a particular route from point A to point B is within that boundary.

Can someone guide me how I can achieve this using ASP.NET C#? I have tried with various libraries and even JavaScript to no avail.

Thanks

Sounds like you want us to do all the work for you, while you collect all the money. How much are you paying us?

Sounds like you want us to do all the work for you, while you collect all the money. How much are you paying us?
Hi Skydiver,

Its not the case. I just need some guidance here. For example: any helpful NUGet packages, any code snippets or documentation I might need to cross reference.

As a matter of fact I asked for someone to "Guide Me" and not to give me the solution. Please get your facts right before commenting.

Thanks

But it's your job to figure out how to do that if you've been hired to create that application. It would be like me taking on a contract to paint a house exterior and interior, and then I post a question on a house painting forum: "How do I paint a house? Any tips on what kind of paints I should get and brushes to use?"

But it's your job to figure out how to do that if you've been hired to create that application. It would be like me taking on a contract to paint a house exterior and interior, and then I post a question on a house painting forum: "How do I paint a house? Any tips on what kind of paints I should get and brushes to use?"
Skydiver,

1. How are you assuming I have been assigned to do this job? From where did you deduct i'm getting paid for this app?
2.Based on your latest answer? What's the point of having a discussion forum, when no one can have difficulties or discuss issues encountered???

Yet again, you take too much assumptions, certainly not good programming skills, you should never assume my friend.

Well, why else would you create such an app when such an app already exists for other ride sharing companies?

Let's say that you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart because you are planning for when social distancing to end by this coming New Year's Eve and you want to assure that everybody gets a ride home -- for free -- just register on web site as a designated driver. Then why the urgency? You've got time to tackle each of the problems one at a time. Why are you asking for all the pieces of the problem to be tackled all at the same time? Why the expectation to just pick up some libraries or NuGet packages? If you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart, why not write each of the pieces as a labor of love?

The point of a discussion forum is to discuss the the difficulties and issues encountered. You've not mentioned any issues or difficulties other than: "I don't know where to start." or "I have tried with various libraries and even JavaScript to no avail."

If you have tried various libraries, tell us what you have tried. Tell us what problems you encountered. Tell us how you tried to overcome those probems.

Anyway, break your giant app into smaller problems to be solved individually. For example, first tackle how to load and save locations on a map. Locations are spatial data. And what do you know, there's an entire section in Entity Framework dedicated to the storage of spatial data:

Well, why else would you create such an app when such an app already exists for other ride sharing companies?

Let's say that you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart because you are planning for when social distancing to end by this coming New Year's Eve and you want to assure that everybody gets a ride home -- for free -- just register on web site as a designated driver. Then why the urgency? You've got time to tackle each of the problems one at a time. Why are you asking for all the pieces of the problem to be tackled all at the same time? Why the expectation to just pick up some libraries or NuGet packages? If you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart, why not write each of the pieces as a labor of love?

The point of a discussion forum is to discuss the the difficulties and issues encountered. You've not mentioned any issues or difficulties other than: "I don't know where to start." or "I have tried with various libraries and even JavaScript to no avail."

If you have tried various libraries, tell us what you have tried. Tell us what problems you encountered. Tell us how you tried to overcome those probems.

Anyway, break your giant app into smaller problems to be solved individually. For example, first tackle how to load and save locations on a map. Locations are spatial data. And what do you know, there's an entire section in Entity Framework dedicated to the storage of spatial data:

Thanks for your advice Skydiver,

Just to put your mind at rest and cut the hype on your hypothesis in one sentence, I am a student doing this app as part of my learning curve in MVC and assignments. I don't like to do simple projects, that way you don't learn, I like to try complex things to learn new things and be innovative, part of student life after all.

Hope this clears out your perception!

If you want to learn MVC, then learn MVC. MVC doesn't require storing spatial data, map rendering and push-pinning, nor optimal route finding. Yes, those things may make your app more interesting to use and demonstrate later on, but it's not letting you focus on learning how to use MVC.

Back
Top Bottom