Answered Hi guys, can anyone suggest any complex project ideas with the requirements listed below? Thanks!

sock1992

Programming Experience
Beginner
It has to be a console application and contain all the requirements below:
  • Console input and output
  • Variables for storing data at run-time
  • Conditional branching
  • Repetition using loops (or recursive functions)
  • Functions and/or methods
  • File input and output
  • Sequential data structures (arrays or lists) and/or dictionaries
  • User-defined structs or classes
  • Load input data from text file(s).
  • Load configuration settings from text file(s).
  • Using serialisation to save and load the program state between program runs.
  • searching and sorting of data.

Most things non-trivial console programs would involve most of those elements. Are you trying to come up with an end of quarter or end of year project? Consider scanning through the 2 big list of projects ideas over at Dream In Code.

A long time ago, I wrote a program that would take a survey where the answers, given would rate (-1, 0, 1 or 2) and come up with a score. That would probably validate most of your requirements.

If you want to make it hard on yourself and as you need a complex program I would create a function calculator

Console output : > System started
Console: Input : > New
Console output : > Input new function
Console: Input : > A = sqr(B^2 + C^2)
Console output : > Input needed for variables B and C
Console: Input : > Set B = 5
Console output : > Input needed for variable C
Console: Input : > SetRange C from 5 to 10 step 1
Console output : > Calculation Ready.
Console: Input : > Run

If you can do this I am sure your teachers will be impressed.

Last edited:
Where does the searching and sorting, File I/O, serialization/deserialization go into such a function calculator?

Most things non-trivial console programs would involve most of those elements. Are you trying to come up with an end of quarter or end of year project? Consider scanning through the 2 big list of projects ideas over at Dream In Code.
Okay cheers! ill take a look at both of those links, and yes its for a project that I need to complete by January.

A calculator is only maths. I don't see where any of those bullet points hold any place in such an application.

Perhaps consider making a Diary? That would allow you to utilise all of the bullet points above.

A calculator is only maths. I don't see where any of those bullet points hold any place in such an application.

Perhaps consider making a Diary? That would allow you to utilise all of the bullet points above.

It was never my intention to tell the original asker what to do.

But imagine a script that
calculate X; save it
calculate Y; save it

Then uses output's as input to calculate Z

Making efficient calculations can be much improved by sorting.

Not mentioning asking your console application what ranges could be used

And save the entire state to disk so you can restart at a later time or restart over.

Back
Top Bottom