Resolved Hiccup in Visual Studio Community 2019, about Windows Forms

Gloops

Programming Experience
10+
Hello everybody,

I have a Visual Studio 2019 Community installation, that recently appeared unable to create a Windows Forms project, or a form on an existing project.

Two times, in Visual Studio Installer, in the individual components tab, I unchecked and then checked again the "C# and Visual Basic" workload, and validated each time. So, four modifications of the installation.

It does not restore the functionality.
Was it another one I had to reinstall ?

Solution
Sorry, in the workloads, mobile and desktop are together in one checkbox, this disturbed me.
I eventually checked it, in a few minutes it should be OK.
Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for your assistance.
Huh? You just had another thread where you were editing a WinForms project.

Anyway, you'll want to be in the "Workloads" tab and be sure that you have ".NET Desktop development" checked.

Some people also accidentally apply filters on their "New Project" dialog and not select "C#", "Windows", and "Desktop" with the dropdowns on the top right corner.

Huh? You just had another thread where you were editing a WinForms project.

Yes, I can modify an existing project, but not create a new one, nor create a form, except by inheriting from a form of the project.

Anyway, you'll want to be in the "Workloads" tab and be sure that you have ".NET Desktop development" checked.

Some people also accidentally apply filters on their "New Project" dialog and not select "C#", "Windows", and "Desktop" with the dropdowns on the top right corner.
I tried "SDK.Net Framework 4.7", that indeed was missing.
But it seems something more is still missing.

It is possible I fail on the translations, as I have a french version, but I think I have some notions about this.

Oh, when searching the preview tool, I realized that I was not authenticated any more.
I had put this in the clipboard :
The filters are "C#", "Windows", "Desktop", which are the domains in which I develop until now.
If I click to erase all filters, I find some project types, but not Windows Forms.

If I return in the project I was developing, I still have "Insert / Windows Form" in the dropwdown menus, but when I click on that, the element that is proposed by default in a dialog box has a .ruleset extension.

Try find a repair instead of trying to reinstall.

I presume I click on "Install more tools and functionalities".
Then in Visual Studio Installer I have four tabs:
  • Workloads
  • Individual Components
  • Linguistic Modules
  • Installation Places
Do I find the Repair in that, or perhaps I go through the Windows Parameters ?

N.B. The Verify button in the properties of the disk, finds no problem.

Screenshot_1.png

Sorry, in the workloads, mobile and desktop are together in one checkbox, this disturbed me.
I eventually checked it, in a few minutes it should be OK.
Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for your assistance.

Solution
Back
Top Bottom