Hide (minimize) Visual Studio when debug starts?

ZenMusic

Programming Experience
10+
Can I find a setting to Hide (minimize) Visual Studio when debug starts?

thanks

Why would you want to hide or minimize Visual Studio when debugging starts considering that Visual Studio's debugger gives your relevant information in its output panes, and the minute a breakpoint or exception is encountered, you'll want to be in the IDE anyway? Most professional developers want to have the IDE up and easily accessible (usually one one screen) while their program is running.

I don't want to discourage anyone from using this and other sites for help with things that you cannot figure out on your own, but they should be a last resort rather than a first option. In this case, the Debug menu in VS has an Options item that will take you directly to the Debugging section of the Options dialogue. If such an option exists by default then it will be there and you are as capable of checking that as anyone else. In fact, all new developers should have a good look through that Options dialogue when they first start using VS, to see what's there and what might need changing. Even if you don't understand or need everything right away, it means that you have something to refer to on future occasions, like this one.

The next step should always be searching the web for existing information. I just typed "visual studio minimize on debug" into a search engine and this was the fourth result. Being new to programming doesn't mean being new to the internet.

I have to agree with Skydiver though. Maybe there are some very specific circumstances where the VS window interferes with your own app but, generally speaking, I can't see why minimising the VS window would be specifically desirable, even if you don't use it.

I have to agree with Skydiver though. Maybe there are some very specific circumstances where the VS window interferes with your own app but, generally speaking, I can't see why minimising the VS window would be specifically desirable, even if you don't use it.
sorry , admin please cancel my membership here ... and please delete this thread

Last edited:
You're leaving because we disagree with you? If you have a good reason for doing this then why not let us know what it is? Maybe we'll learn something. If you don't have a good reason then maybe you should consider the advice of two developers with decades of experience. If you don't want to take our advice then you don't have to - it's just general advice. You're still free to do whatever you want to do. We will tend to advise what we think is best for someone, not just tell people what they want to hear. Everyone is can still make their own decisions though. Seems a bit of an overreaction to leave on that basis.

Or if you are a single monitor user (like using an ultra wide or on the go with a laptop), the FancyZones in the Windows PowerToys is a major help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom