How do I get Microsoft Code to come up in my right click menu?

complete

Programming Experience
3-5
When I right button click on a folder in Windows Explorer, the option to launch that new and empty folder in Microsoft Visual Studio Code is not available to me as it appears in a youtube tutorial like so. How do I get it there as a menu option If I have this helpful IDE already installed?
Visual-Studi-Code-in-Menu.png

That is a screen shot from the training video which shows I can choose to open the folder with Code such that I launch Visual Studio Code with the folder open as a starting point.

When I right click on the folder, instead, I do not see this menu option. How do I add it?

Instead.png

As far as I know the option to have it added on using the GUI is while you are first installing VS Code. One of the setup checkboxes asks if you want to add "Open with Code" to the Explorer context menus.

Your alternative is to do some registry hacking to add in the needed entries (or have someone who has the appropriate entries already on their machine to export them to a .REG file that you can import on your machine).

I recommend just uninstalling VS Code and then re-installing.

As far as I know the option to have it added on using the GUI is while you are first installing VS Code. One of the setup checkboxes asks if you want to add "Open with Code" to the Explorer context menus.

Your alternative is to do some registry hacking to add in the needed entries (or have someone who has the appropriate entries already on their machine to export them to a .REG file that you can import on your machine).

I recommend just uninstalling VS Code and then re-installing.

I am going to uninstall and reinstall it and let you know.

Back
Top Bottom