Question I want to build a C# project. What should I build and where can I learn how to build it?

Zachino12

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have been programming for about 4-5 months now. I am currently doing a Bachelors In Computer And Information Sciences at The Auckland University Of Technology. I want to build a side project using Visual Studio .NET C# and was wondering how I should go about it?

In my opinion, the best way to learn is to first try things yourself before looking at the way other people approached the same problem/project. It will train you to think about how to break down a large problem into smaller problems, as well as how to organize code. This also lets you evolve how you write your code. Some people write top-down, while others write bottom-up.

Also, don't be afraid to re-visit an old project that you may have already done in the past. It's amazing how doing an old project, but applying the things that you have learned since that time gives you new perspectives, as well as, let's you have a gauge of how you have progressed in the art and craft of software development.

See post #3: it's best to try to figure out how to do it yourself instead of learning how others did it.

Let's take building a small birdhouse as an example. There is a lot of value of trying to figure out how you would make it yourself, as opposed to hitting YouTube and watching how others built their birdhouses before you tackle the task yourself. When you try to figure it out yourself first, you'll encounter questions like "how do I join the pieces of wood?", "how much wood will I need?", "how big do the dimensions need to be?", etc. There is value in trying and failing.

It always puzzles me when people don't have any ideas on what to work on. Reminds me of a piano forum where people would sometimes ask "I don't know what to play next, any suggestions ?" and would then get bombarded by recommendations for everybody's favorite pieces 😁 For a coder, things should be easier. There must be something that you can make to solve some specific, however small, domestic need. I am always having fun with stuff like searching documents, organizing photos, printing my wife's jam labels, and so forth, which I will then happily use forever after. Or even some small functionality that you'd like to have but is not provided by Windows or whatever OS you use. Lots of useful commands that can be implemented. I find there's always something that you can make and would be useful when ready. Or you just pick a small C# topic you like and feel comfortable with, start with the most basic example of that, then gradually expand it with other functionality. If all else fails, just go write something silly for fun, tic-tac-toe or whatever. Spoilt for choice !

Back
Top Bottom