Improve my knowlage at C# and .NET

hed bisker

Programming Experience
1-3
I have worked in the same place and the same work for 3 and a half years
I am using WPF and WinForm for developing Desktop apps
How can I Improve my knowledge at .NET and add more lines and stuff to my CV..
I thought about Entity Framework Core and ASP.NET Web API core\mcv core

What do you think?

There certainly tends to be more work around in web development than Windows desktop development these days. That's my impression, at least. For that reason, learning ASP.NET MVC and Web API would definitely be a good idea. I'd certainly consider learning Entity Framework a good idea too but be aware that there are various other ORMs that are likely to be used within ASP.NET apps too. Even if certain employers do use others, at least experience with EF is better than no ORM experience at all.

There certainly tends to be more work around in web development than Windows desktop development these days. That's my impression, at least. For that reason, learning ASP.NET MVC and Web API would definitely be a good idea. I'd certainly consider learning Entity Framework a good idea too but be aware that there are various other ORMs that are likely to be used within ASP.NET apps too. Even if certain employers do use others, at least experience with EF is better than no ORM experience at all.
What you think has to be first to learn? WEB or EF? and what is more in use MCV or Web API?

And you think it's important to use with Core framework?

What you think has to be first to learn? WEB or EF?
If you follow the Microsoft tutorials for web development then that will incorporate EF anyway, so you can learn both together if you like. If you want to stage your learning then probably go EF first in Windows apps, then you won't have issues when you see EF used in ASP.NET tutorials.
what is more in use MCV or Web API?
They are actually very similar so much of your learning will apply to both. I'd say that MVC would get more use overall though, so you might want to start there. A Web API app has basically the same structure but the controller actions return JSON data that can be consumed by any application, be it web, Windows or mobile, while MVC controllers return a view for display directly in a browser. The structure of the controllers and everything below that is the same though.
And you think it's important to use with Core framework?
That's the way .NET is going so I would suggest so. The principles are the same either way and most of the programming is the same too. There are some significant differences between ASP.NET and ASP.NET Core so definitely go with the latter, but you can still target .NET Framework with an ASP.NET Core app if you want to. I'd suggest going with the latest, i.e. ASP.NET Core 5.0 on .NET Core 5.0, but be aware that you may have to drop back to an older version of something if specific projects require it.

If you follow the Microsoft tutorials for web development then that will incorporate EF anyway, so you can learn both together if you like. If you want to stage your learning then probably go EF first in Windows apps, then you won't have issues when you see EF used in ASP.NET tutorials.

They are actually very similar so much of your learning will apply to both. I'd say that MVC would get more use overall though, so you might want to start there. A Web API app has basically the same structure but the controller actions return JSON data that can be consumed by any application, be it web, Windows or mobile, while MVC controllers return a view for display directly in a browser. The structure of the controllers and everything below that is the same though.

That's the way .NET is going so I would suggest so. The principles are the same either way and most of the programming is the same too. There are some significant differences between ASP.NET and ASP.NET Core so definitely go with the latter, but you can still target .NET Framework with an ASP.NET Core app if you want to. I'd suggest going with the latest, i.e. ASP.NET Core 5.0 on .NET Core 5.0, but be aware that you may have to drop back to an older version of something if specific projects require it.

Hi sir. Thanks for your big answer. How it is possible to combine react with asp.net Mvc? and If I want also to learn it It is better to learn both together? or react first and then asp.net MVC or first to learn asp.net MVC and then react?

and If I want also to learn it It is better to learn both together? or react first and then asp.net MVC or first to learn asp.net MVC and then react?
There is no fast way to learning to programme. I believe programming and coding are two different things. Coding is a skill developed over time with any language. I consider programming to be more of an an art. Programming is more about thinking about the building blocks, and how to construct something, such as an application, and what tools or building blocks to use to achieve a specific outcome. When I'm programming something complex, I often map it out on my cloud server or on paper where I can visually interpret how something should be built, and what development patterns I should use. Programming is where logic comes from. And not everyone is wired to programme in every language. The bigger question is why do you want to learn React? Because If you are chasing the high salary or looking for ways to expand your curriculum vitae, you will fail as a programmer. For me, there must be a reason why I want to learn a new language, and i must have an understanding of a given language to see its potential and that language must shape how I think about building applications, otherwise It's likely not worth learning. Hence the Alan J. Perlis quote in my signature.

So that's a difficult question to answer and ideally depends on how well you know one of those two languages. Frankly, if you don't know asp.net, then I'd recommend starting with asp.net first, since you are already working in C# with desktop apps. There are boilerplate examples you can use online to help you get started with asp.net, and from there, you would obviously follow the documentation provided with that boilerplate example to further your learning experience. React is something you can add to an already existing asp.net project, and it's also something you should probably learn afterwards. As I think that you will find transitioning between the two, less confusing.

Back
Top Bottom