Is it a good idea to use C#

elbartje

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello all

I'm new to C# and I want to know if C# is the correct langue to learn next.

I have a project witch uses access as frontend (userforms, VBA code,..) and the backend is an Orcale database.
I want to make this project webbased, so I was thinking to use C#.

What do you guys think ?

There's no one right choice but, based on the information you've provided, it sounds like C# would be a reasonable choice. It is certainly a good tool for creating web-based, data-driven applications.

ASP.Net is a great platform to work with, but in addition to C# you will probably also need a few other languages along the way, such as HTML, CSS, JS and JQuery. With that said the tools available in VS are very good at abstracting much of the difficulties away. WCF also has no equals for the ease of setting up a web service based data layer.

With all that being said, I would recommend you focus on ASP.NET Core, .NET Core 2.0 and .NET Standard 2.0 , along with Entity Framework Core as your ORM, as this is the platform of choice for portability and cross platform, and it exists specifically for web based applications at the moment. The language is the same, but the framework is slightly different than the full .NET 4.7 framework. This is the current cutting edge technology on the Microsoft side, and this is what Microsoft is putting the most effort in at the moment. All your application references, including the framework are referenced as NuGet packages, and it makes it very easy to keep your code up to date. The applications and services you produce with this arrangement and portable and can run on Windows, Linux, and OSX implementations of .NET Core.

ASP.Net is a great platform to work with, but in addition to C# you will probably also need a few other languages along the way, such as HTML, CSS, JS and JQuery. With that said the tools available in VS are very good at abstracting much of the difficulties away. WCF also has no equals for the ease of setting up a web service based data layer.
Just realize that you'll hear lots of things like "languages" when talking about web things but remember that html isn't a language it's a layout mechanism that doesn't actually process anything, it's great for displaying things though, css is just a styling tool, JS however is a client side scripting language but jQuery is just an extension on top of JS that allows for some better syntax and interaction tricks.

A declarative language is still a language in my opinion. Even Razor which is really just syntactic sugar could be called a language. It has constructs and syntax.

html isn't a language
HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language :)
Wiki further claims Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style sheet language - used for describing the presentation of a document written in a markup language.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom