Answered Is it worthwhile learning Telerik components for transition between asp.net and data analysis/Machine Learning

Soya

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi

Is it worthwhile to learn Telerik components (there is alot) as a way to get data from asp.net servers (mysql server etc.) and then implemented onto a excel format (before doing so implementing some python data analysis or Machine Learning). I mean Telerik intent is partial to print excel and etc. (I know its also for visualization like kendogrid components) but the point is to get from server to excel (binary) I do not know of any other component that has big functionality other than Telerik. My question is, is it worthwhile the effort to study Telerik, will Telerik go out of fashion soon (is it popular), is there other options to print excel out besides Telerik that anyone knows is popular and is been used extensively.

Solution
I can't recall whether MySQL supports direct export to CSV
You can.
SQL:
SELECT item FROM table WHERE condition = '@yourcondition'
INTO OUTFILE '/home/user/dir/file.csv' FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
ENCLOSED BY '"' LINES TERMINATED BY '\n';

The only thing here is that the file will be wrote to the specified directory above. (The operation is done server-side). So your exporting user on MySQL will need write access to that folder or else it will fail to export on execution. The user accessing the data will need read access to that folder where the files reside. But I don't see the point in why you would want to use CSV unless you plan on using the data as spreadsheets to edit in Excel and reupload to a database? If this is the...
First question is to do really need native .XLSX files or will .CSV files do?

If .CSV files will do, then don't bother with any other tools. All you need is to just write out a comma delimited file. I can't recall whether MySQL supports direct export to CSV, or if you'll need to write C# code to read from MySQL and then write out to file formatted as a CSV.

I can't recall whether MySQL supports direct export to CSV
You can.
SQL:
SELECT item FROM table WHERE condition = '@yourcondition'
INTO OUTFILE '/home/user/dir/file.csv' FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
ENCLOSED BY '"' LINES TERMINATED BY '\n';

The only thing here is that the file will be wrote to the specified directory above. (The operation is done server-side). So your exporting user on MySQL will need write access to that folder or else it will fail to export on execution. The user accessing the data will need read access to that folder where the files reside. But I don't see the point in why you would want to use CSV unless you plan on using the data as spreadsheets to edit in Excel and reupload to a database? If this is the case, then this solution will do.

However, I prefer json format when working with data objects. So if the data being exported does not necessarily need to be in CSV format, then you should instead export your data into json format where you can create json objects as a class object. This makes working with data very efficient if you want to keep the data in C#, especially if you want to edit that data through a Asp.Net website instead of Excel.

So, no, I don't think its worthwhile using other components, because it's not needed based on the information you provided. Hope this answer helps.

Solution
Back
Top Bottom