Is that possible to read a STL file in C# ?

forty69

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello everyone,

I am wondering this question as I explained at tittle. I want to read a STL file in C#. The reason to use it with C# , forms operations,designs,libraries and functions are flexible for me if it is compared with other languages that i know.

My aims :

I know that there are lots of free program on the Internet , but i want to do my own program.
I want the program to read the STL file and then i can see the object .
Maybe, the program also gives the gcodes for me.

My questions :

1) If there are other languages to do that easily instead of C# , what are them ? ( I preffer C or C++ for my past experience )

2) If it is possible on C# , what steps or guides should i follow ? ( I was thinking to use Finite Elements Method , but it'll be more complicated. )

Finally , I dont know that these questions may be weird but i just want to make it alone and takes it as an experience.

I am looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Forty69

Last edited:
Sure it's possible to read the stl files using c#, the complexity of drawing the shapes on the screen from the data in the file could be quite involved and I have no clue how easy/hard that might be. But to answer the question, yes c# is a language you can use to do all of that.

I've never worked with stl files so I have no experience to draw from, but here's a couple of links I found when searching about it:
STL (file format) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The StL Format | fabbers.com

Sure it's possible to read the stl files using c#, the complexity of drawing the shapes on the screen from the data in the file could be quite involved and I have no clue how easy/hard that might be. But to answer the question, yes c# is a language you can use to do all of that.

I've never worked with stl files so I have no experience to draw from, but here's a couple of links I found when searching about it:
STL (file format) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The StL Format | fabbers.com
Thanks a lot sir. I'll work on it while other answers and suggestions come in this topic.

Back
Top Bottom