MetadataLoadContext and inheritance

JohnH

C# Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
I'm using MetadataLoadContext to inspect assemblies and wonder if it is possible to detect inheritance for a type? Regular reflections methods IsSubclassOf or IsAssignableFrom does not work. Specifically I would like to check if a type is a delegate without having to do string comparison on the BaseType.Name.

Skydiver

Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Interesting... So this statement in that link you provided is incorrect?
You can use all reflection APIs on loaded assemblies except ones that involve code execution.
I would not have expected IsSubclassOf() to need to execute code. I can sort of see how IsAssignableFrom() would need to execute code due to implicit and explicit overrides that can be written by a class author.

Skydiver

Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Oh, I see... At the bottom of the documentation for IsSubclassOf():
Note
Except when used with interfaces, IsSubclassOf is the converse of IsAssignableFrom. That is, if t1.IsSubclassOf(t2) is true, then t2.IsAssignableFrom(t1) is also true.
This method can be overridden by a derived class.

JohnH

C# Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
No type comparisons seems to work with the "meta types", but it is very fast compared to regular reflection that is known to be slow.
For example in reflection-only context CustomAttributesData.AttributeType would compare for example with TargetFrameworkAttribute, doing the same with MetadataLoadContext will compare as false - but one can compare AttributeType.Name with string "TargetFrameworkAttribute".

Skydiver

Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Have you taken a peek to see how MEF does things to determine whether an add-in is supported or not? Or does it just rely on plain old reflection by loading the assembly?

JohnH

C# Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
MEF uses plain reflection. I'm not trying to load addins, just discovering assembly information. I have this some kind of working now.

Top Bottom