Multi platform app with remote database

lional

Programming Experience
Beginner
Morning all
I want to delve into MAUI and multi-platform development. I have written a couple of small WPF apps and I want to write a small database app that can be viewed from desktop and mobile. I have a SQL database on a remote server. What is the best way to develop an app that can be used from desktops and mobiles that accesses the remote database from a security as well as quality code perspective.

I just need to be pointed in the right direction, one learns by researching and doing and not been told what to do

Thank you and have a great day

Generally speaking, you would create a Web API that connected to the database and then your app(s) would make calls to that API. That way, the database is not exposed to the outside world and creating a security risk. The API can handle database security and app security. A Web API is basically a web site with no UI, so it gets hosted in pretty much the same way a web site does.

Generally speaking, you would create a Web API that connected to the database and then your app(s) would make calls to that API. That way, the database is not exposed to the outside world and creating a security risk. The API can handle database security and app security. A Web API is basically a web site with no UI, so it gets hosted in pretty much the same way a web site does.

Thank you much appreciated

Yes. Web API would be the project type that you create in VS, assuming you're doing this there. REST is then the architecture you use to implement it. You can build a RESTful API using other languages and technologies besides C# and ASP.NET, but that's what you'd use if you're sticking with the Microsoft stack.

Back
Top Bottom