Mysql insert data and time but is long number ?

faustf

Programming Experience
1-3
hi guys , i want insert inside a DB mysql a string , with actual day in this format string DateTime4_DB = string.Format("{0:yyyy-MM-dd--HH-mm-ss-fff}",marketDataUpdate.Time);
it work good but when in look inside of table of db , with navicat i saw only this number 1723, why ???
the cel is a text utf8mb4
anyone hhave some ideaa ?? thaks at all

jmcilhinney

C# Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Why would you do such a thing? There is never a good reason to store dates/times as text in a database that has dedicated types. If the database is within your control, fix the schema and use the correct type for storing dates/times and then store the proper data. Any formatting should be done at the application level, after you retrieve the data from the database.

faustf

Programming Experience
1-3
i set datetime and i modify a C# cod ein sthis mode DateTime4_DB = string.Format("{0:yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss:fff}",marketDataUpdate.Time); , but now return me error , You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '12:17:27:632,4083.25,4083,1)' at line 1
therfore i had changed to text

jmcilhinney

C# Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
DO NOT save text to the database! Save a .NET DateTime value. There is no formatting. It's just a number internally. The only time you format is when you get the data back from the database and want to display it.

faustf

Programming Experience
1-3
i modify my script in this mode and work string now_date_marketlast = DateTime.Now.ToString("yyyyMMddHHmmss");
but when i insert ("yyyyMMddHHmmssffff"); not work for me is important have also hundredths of a second , why not insert ? thanks at all

jmcilhinney

C# Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Are you not understanding or are you just ignoring what I'm posting? I would like to know because, if it's the latter, I won't waste any more time. DO NOT convert your DateTime value to a string. Save the DateTime value directly. Format is then irrelevant. Set the data type for your column to whatever MySQL uses for dates/times - it may be datetime or similar but I don't use MySQL much so I'm not sure - and then save DateTime.Now directly to the database. If you are converting a DateTime to a string for any purpose other than display then you're doing it wrong.

Top Bottom