.net Library like Enterprise library

manoja143

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi
I am starting a new development. I would like to know what is the latest reliable library that offers logging, file access, data access , encrypting etc related classes/ utilities.
Years ago, microsoft release Enterprise library.
Is that still being used. Any thing else people have been using which is reliable.

thanks

I believe that people still use it. I think you can fetch it from Nuget. Most people have moved away from it though, because some people have been feeling that it it too monolithic. To get some functionality, you had to bring in the whole kit and kaboodle. On one hand, if you were planning on using some functionality, you might as well use all of it. On the other hand, most people nowadays want to be able to pick and choose what tools they want to use and not be forced to use a particular tool.

There's lots of logging functionality built right into .NET these days, especially if you're using ASP.NET, and there's things like NLog and log4net. For data access, we use Entity Framework pretty much exclusively now. There would be loads of NuGet packages available for encryption and the like. The choices are such these days that EL is probably more trouble than it's worth now. I found it a bit clunky in my few encounters with it.

we use Entity Framework pretty much exclusively now
That's a deplorable program/mapper. It still has memory leak issues which haven't been fixed in over two years (Along with a range of other issues I could mention). So it's currently on my avoid list. But I do understand that the decision to use it is likely not your own. I'd personally preference Dapper ORM If I was given an option for data mapping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom