New to Programing

Pgill

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello, I am new to programming and looking to find some good books on C# if anyone can help

Hi, and welcome to the forums. What I'd recommend are the following :

The Art of Computer Programming. Highly recommended read.

C# 5.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference Fifth Edition

Head First C# - Although C# in Depth is a better read.

When you get to a more advanced level; Jon Skeet's books : C# In Depth C# in Depth: 9781933988368: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com - you can find a few other editions here : Jon Skeet

The best place to learn, is a link in my signature spoiler. Look for - Getting Started C# on MSDN

I Imagine some of the other guys might have alternative suggestions for which books they started with.

As much as it pains me, if you are completely new to programming I have to suggest Microsoft Visual C# .NET by Joyce Farrell. She'll give you what you need to learn in a more palatable format as compared to Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming". (I personally don't like the book, but I'm seeing various universities being successful in using it to teach their students C#.)

If you've written code before, then "Head First C#" would be a better use of your time.

Once you do get the hang of programming, at multiple points in your career, go back to read Knuth there are many kernels of learning packed in those volumes. We are lucky to have him continuing to work on it as new knowledge is gained throughout the industry.

Jon Skeet's books are a must read to become a C# black belt. Unfortunately, they are not for beginners.

That's true. But in my first list of books, there are books for beginners, and stemming from finishing Head First onto the other authors, it shouldn't be hard to pick up and learn the more advanced layers. Actually head first is not bad, yet it has unnecessary bad reviews, when its actually not bad at all. What are your absolute favourite beginner books?

Back
Top Bottom