Resolved on key press

aronmatthew

Programming Experience
Beginner
i have written a app to run along side a game. and as of now i need to use the windows button to remove focus from the game to add focus to the app to press a button. i would like to wire a key that i can press without having to removed focus from the game. see this demo:
please dont direct me to any website or documentation.

Okay, I won't direct you to any documentation. I will tell you that you that you will need to learn how to install Windows hooks. No you are not allowed to use a website or read the documentation to learn how to do that. You will have to buy a hard copy of "Inside Windows NT" from an actual bookstore. No ordering online since that would be a website. Since YouTube is also a website, no fair looking for information there either about Windows hooks.

please dont direct me to any website or documentation.
It's for us to decide what form our assistance will take and if we think that there is information that will be of use to you on a website or in documentation then we will direct you to that. If you're not prepared to make the effort to find, understand and use that information then that's on you. You aren't paying us to teach you or write code for you. You're asking us to volunteer our time to help a stranger. If that stranger won't make an effort themselves then it doesn't encourage us to do so either.

Clearly, they have no interest in learning if they are unwilling to read any relevant suggested articles. Unless the OP has a disability which prohibits them from doing intellectual research or some form of reading? That I highly doubt.

Either way, it makes this topic rather redundant either way.

Okay, I won't direct you to any documentation. I will tell you that you that you will need to learn how to install Windows hooks. No you are not allowed to use a website or read the documentation to learn how to do that. You will have to buy a hard copy of "Inside Windows NT" from an actual bookstore. No ordering online since that would be a website. Since YouTube is also a website, no fair looking for information there either about Windows hooks.
i ordered that book and opened it up it wasn't anything but garbage no code at all. its in the trash can now.

Yes, it doesn't give you code. It talks about how Windows works, and what APIs are available to see what is happening. If you took time to read it, you would see how you would get notified of key presses even when your app does not have the focus.

i ordered that book
Did you go to a bookstore to order the book? Or did you go to a website or use a phone app to order the book? If the latter you just violated your own restriction about not going to a website.

When I was a kid. I started out in the building trade, clueless, and I worked as a trainee plasterer for a while. My boss told me he wanted one side of the room skimmed.

So on my first day, haven never plastered in my life, do you think I said yes sure, I will do that right away?
Or do you think I said, but sir, how do I go about making the mix to plaster the wall?

Obviously, you need to learn to mix the bond, before you even mix the plaster. But I didn't know that, until I asked the question; how do I get started?

Until It was explained to me, I eventually learned, and I learned by asking the same questions I already kinda knew the answers too, because he trained me like that. He told me, if you don't know something or if you're in doubt, ask me what to do.

My point is... You've just been given a book on how Windows works. Herein is the point...had you read about any of the available API's in the book, possible mentioned events or even the chapters on Windows itself, you would have a general consensus to understanding the events you are working with. Well enough for you to come back and ask a question relative to what you're trying to do.

Writing code is easy. Doing it right is not so easy. Knowing the mechanics of what makes you write properly written code that actually works clearly depends upon how well you have been thought or how well you teach yourself. And In your case; you came here for help and guidance, but insistingly outlined your desire to not be educated or to be directed to any documentation.

You don't learn to bond and plaster a wall without learning how to mix the substance. The same applies to programming. You won't become any good at it with an attitude like yours. Becoming a programmer requires patients and lots of reading.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom