Resolved Performance issues with consumer method and how to resolve it

timotech

Programming Experience
10+
Hi guys,
Based on my last thread: Await blocking other consumers in a for loop
In which @Skydiver recommend getting more knowledge in concurrency in c#, well I've been able to resolve most of the issues i have, but I have one that is troubling me.
I have multiple producers and they are working fine. I'm using one consumer to get data from the producers.
The challenge I have is that when I use the code below, the program hangs
C#:
//multiple producers
            for (int i = 0; i < pages.Count; i++)
            {
                realtimeSources[i] = new BlockingCollection<AudioSamples>();
                //producers
                Listener listener = new(cbBoxes[i].SelectedIndex, sampleRate, realtimeSources[i]);
                listeners.Add(listener);               
            }

//consumer
            BlockingCollection<AudioSamples> audioSamples = new BlockingCollection<AudioSamples>();

_ = BlockingCollection<AudioSamples>.TryTakeFromAny(realtimeSources, out AudioSamples item);
            audioSamples.Add(item);
            _ = GetBestMatchForStream(realtimeSources[0], modelService, tokenSource.Token, "Wazobia");

but when I use only one item e.g producer[0], I get responses, but responses from only one producer
C#:
//multiple producers
            for (int i = 0; i < pages.Count; i++)
            {
                realtimeSources[i] = new BlockingCollection<AudioSamples>();
                //producers
                Listener listener = new(cbBoxes[i].SelectedIndex, sampleRate, realtimeSources[i]);
                listeners.Add(listener);               
            }

//consumer (consuming only one producer realtimeSources[0])
            _ = GetBestMatchForStream(realtimeSources[0], modelService, tokenSource.Token, "Wazobia");

Could it be that i'm implementing the design wrongly or my quad core processor cannot handle it?.
The producers are BlockingCollection<AudioSamples> i.e realtimeSources, 8 in number
Please advice.
Thanks

Solution
Ok, so after going through a course on Asynchronous programming in C#, I was introduced to a life saver called
Task.Run().
It removes processing from the UI thread and creates a separate task for the process making your UI to be free from any form of freezing. And it solved my problem.
All I needed to do was call GetBestMatch method inside it.
Some thing like this:
C#:
Task.Run(() =>
            {
                BlockingCollection<AudioSamples> audioSamples = new BlockingCollection<AudioSamples>();

_ = BlockingCollection<AudioSamples>.TakeFromAny(realtimeSources.ToArray(), out AudioSamples item);
                audioSamples.Add(item);
                _ = GetBestMatchForStream(audioSamples, modelService...
In your first code chunk, why are you not passing on item as the first parameter to GetBestMatchForStream()?

What does the code inside GetBestMatchForStream() look like?

In your first code chunk, why are you not passing on item as the first parameter to GetBestMatchForStream()?

What does the code inside GetBestMatchForStream() look like?
Hi @Skydiver, thanks for always responding.
I will try that suggestion, however, please check the GetBestMatchForStream Code below. Thanks

C#:
public async Task<double> GetBestMatchForStream(BlockingCollection<AudioSamples> realtimeSource, IModelService modelService, CancellationToken token, string tabName)
        {
            double seconds = await QueryCommandBuilder.Instance
                .BuildRealtimeQueryCommand()
                .From(new BlockingRealtimeCollection<AudioSamples>(realtimeSource))
                .WithRealtimeQueryConfig(config =>
                {
                    // match only those entries got at least 5 seconds of query match
                    config.ResultEntryFilter = new TrackMatchLengthEntryFilter(5d);
                    //config.QueryConfiguration.Audio.MaxTracksToReturn = 1; //May remove this after observation

// provide a success callback that will be invoked for matches that pass the result entry filter
                    config.SuccessCallback = result =>
                    {
                        foreach (var entry in result.ResultEntries)
                        {
                            Debug.WriteLine($"Successfully matched {entry.TrackId}");
                            Debug.WriteLine($"Successfully matched {entry.Audio.Track.Title} at {DateTime.Now} on {tabName}");
                        }
                    };

config.DidNotPassFilterCallback = (queryResult) =>
                    {
                        foreach (var result in queryResult.ResultEntries)
                        {
                            //Debug.WriteLine($"Did not pass filter {result.TrackId}");
                            Debug.WriteLine($"Did not pass filter {result.Audio.Track.Title} at {DateTime.Now}");
                        }
                    };

return config;
                })
                .UsingServices(modelService)
                .Query(token);

//Debug.WriteLine($"Realtime query stopped. Issued {seconds} seconds of query.");
            return seconds;
        }

its from this library: Realtime Query Command · AddictedCS/soundfingerprinting Wiki
I'm just modifying it.
Edit: I forgot to mention, when I pass in item directly, it brings this error:
C#:
Cannot convert from 'Soundfingerprinting.Audio.AudioSamples' to 'System.Collections.Concurrent.BlockingCollection<Soundfingerprinting.Audio.AudioSamples>'
That was why I had to add it to a new instance
Thanks

Last edited:
Ok, so after going through a course on Asynchronous programming in C#, I was introduced to a life saver called
Task.Run().
It removes processing from the UI thread and creates a separate task for the process making your UI to be free from any form of freezing. And it solved my problem.
All I needed to do was call GetBestMatch method inside it.
Some thing like this:
C#:
Task.Run(() =>
            {

_ = BlockingCollection<AudioSamples>.TakeFromAny(realtimeSources.ToArray(), out AudioSamples item);
                audioSamples.Add(item);
                _ = GetBestMatchForStream(audioSamples, modelService, tokenSource.Token, "Wazobia");
            });
Thanks to @Skydiver for pushing me further

Solution
Back
Top Bottom