Question Program to map out code design? Preferably iOS

Creslin321

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi everyone,

I’m currently working on a game in unity, so coding in C#. I’ve gotten to the point where my code is starting to get really complicated.
I’ve got a bunch of classes And data structures that all have different relationships with one another, and honestly it’s getting hard to keep track of everything in my head.

I feel like if I could map these classes, their relationships, key public methods, etc out visually, like with some kind flowcharting app, it would make coding this a lot easier.

Does anyone know an app that is good for that? Preferably iOS because then I could do code design work while not at my computer.

thanks!

I have no idea what is available for iOS but VS has the ability to create class diagrams, which I think is what you are looking for. I'm not 100% sure whether VS Community supports it by I would expect so, and Professional definitely does. You add a class diagram to your project in exactly the same way you do any other item, from the Project menu or by right-clicking the project in the Solution Explorer.

I have no idea what is available for iOS but VS has the ability to create class diagrams, which I think is what you are looking for. I'm not 100% sure whether VS Community supports it by I would expect so, and Professional definitely does. You add a class diagram to your project in exactly the same way you do any other item, from the Project menu or by right-clicking the project in the Solution Explorer.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I think that is what I’m looking for. Hmm I’ve been using VS code thus far, but I don’t think it supports those diagrams (correct me if I’m wrong lol).

I may try going to full blown VS and check it out.

thanks!

Hmm I’ve been using VS code thus far, but I don’t think it supports those diagrams (correct me if I’m wrong lol).
I doubt it. VS Code is a code editor - a code editor on steroids, but still a code editor at heart - so I doubt that it would support such visual features.

This is available in VS Community also. Don't know how it works with different projects types as I've never used it, all article says is it works with "C#, Visual Basic, or C++ project" and "not available in .NET Core projects".

The key words you are looking for at "UML class diagrams". Personally, after trying a bunch of high end told like Visio, Rational Rose, and the older Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate Edition's diagrams, I end up going back to using Gliffy. Although the high end told have all kinds of whiz bang features, I feel that I spend more time tweaking diagrams, as opposed to Gliffy which let's me focus on "getting ideas on paper" without getting in my way.

I recommend searching for various told and see which one(s) work best with the way you think and work. Highest priced needs not necessarily be the best, but granted, some of the free ones are also pieces of junk.

I managed to get Gliffy back when it was free when they were first coming out, but I would willingly pay for it because it is such a good fit for me. If you are a student, I believe that Gliffy can be had for free by registering with your .edu email address. I introduced my wife to Gliffy for a flowcharting project she had to do. Later, when she had to redo the work using Visio (because Visio lets you print to PDF, while the student edition of Gliffy does not), she was ready to cry because of what was easy to do in Gliffy, was not as smooth to do in Visio. She did like having all the extra features that Visio offered once the diagramming work was done, and it was a matter of jazzing up the Iooks.

Last edited:
The key words you are looking for at "UML class diagrams". Personally, after trying a bunch of high end told like Visio, Rational Rose, and the older Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate Edition's diagrams, I end up going back to using Gliffy. Although the high end told have all kinds of whiz bang features, I feel that I spend more time tweaking diagrams, as opposed to Gliffy which let's me focus on "getting ideas on paper" without getting in my way.

I recommend searching for various told and see which one(s) work best with the way you think and work. Highest priced needs not necessarily be the best, but granted, some of the free ones are also pieces of junk.

I managed to get Gliffy back when it was free when they were first coming out, but I would willingly pay for it because it is such a good fit for me. If you are a student, I believe that Gliffy can be had for free by registering with your .edu email address. I introduced my wife to Gliffy for a flowcharting project she had to do. Later, when she had to redo the work using Visio (because Visio lets you print to PDF, while the student edition of Gliffy does not), she was ready to cry because of what was easy to do in Gliffy, was not as smooth to do in Visio. She did like having all the extra features that Visio offered once the diagramming work was done, and it was a matter of jazzing up the Iooks.

Ah yeah I think this is more of what I was talking about. Hmmm thanks for the advice on Gliffy. It looks like it's a subscription service now which pushes me away a bit...I don't really want to pay $8 a month just to make diagrams haha :).

Anyway, I'll have to see if I can find a UML tool that is either free or an affordable one time purchase and fits the bill.

Either way, you pointed me in the right direction, so thanks for that!

Back
Top Bottom