Answered Publish .NET Framework on Azure Still Possible?

Mitchelln11

Programming Experience
Beginner
I've been trying to launch a .NET Framework web application to Azure, and I can't seem to get it. Every tutorial out there is using, or pushing .NET Core.
This is a basic application using C#, .NET Framework 4.7.2 MVC, and connecting to some REST APIs.

1. When deploying .NET Framework app, do you need a Virtual machine? I'm not paying $152.00/month. ( tutorials.visualstudio.com )

2. Is it even still possible to deploy a .NET Framework site on Azure? (No signs that it's not possible, other than failing on the Deployment Center)

3. I'm going along with this Youtube demo, and I get to around 4:54 just fine, but it's with the next steps that I'm not getting anywhere (As source control, I've tried external Git (Not supported anymore apparently), FTP, Local Git, and GitHub, but all result in a fail message in the deployment center. -No message to go with it to help narrow it down)

4. With .NET Core, do you need a Virtual Machine?

Going through this for the first time, so any advice, or something I might be missing will be extremely helpful.

You don't need a VM. You can create an Azure App Service. We deploy some web applications to Azure App Services using CI/CD in Azure DevOps, which integrates into VS. You can set it up so that every time you push to a branch in DevOps, a pipeline is initiated that will build the project on Azure and then a release is initiated to deploy the output to an App Service. We do use .NET Core and we used to have a step in our pipeline that installed .NET Core 3.0. I would imagine that you could do the same for a version of the .NET Framework if it was not installed by default. I've not looked into that explicitly though.

Back
Top Bottom