Report viewer for Visual Studio 2019

syedmeesamali

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi all, I am getting stuck with report viewer in Visual Studio 2019. I already have installed report designer and is working perfectly fine but whenever I try to install the "Report Viewer" from Nuget packages, it always either crashed or fails to load properly and show any report. Any permanent solution as I've seen many threads online where people struggle with it a lot mostly due to version issues and sometimes some bugs ? Is crystal reports a better solution and I should opt for that instead?

I don't know why Microsoft haven't addressed this yet but, from what I recall, you just have to use an older NuGet package for the ReportViewer control. Looking here, I would suggest that you try the newest, then the second newest, etc. I have a feeling that it's version 150.900.148 that is the newest that works but I'm not 100% sure. There's also this package, which purports to fix the issue with the official Microsoft package. I have a feeling that I once tried that and it didn't work either, but I'm not 100% sure. Just be sure to remove any ReportViewer controls before changing the installed package.

There are a lot of people using crystal reports so there is likely going to be more sample/starter code out there free to use, and likely more support for that product.

Thank you Jmc and Sheepings. Is crystal report for free? I couldn't find suitable information by searching. If free then I think this should be better than MS stuff as SAP seems to be more professional company.

Is crystal report for free? I couldn't find suitable information by searching.
A Crystal Reports license is not free.

The viewer control and the VS designer extension are free.

I haven't used CR for over a decade so I don't know whether aforementioned license is required to use the free VS extension.

If free then I think this should be better than MS stuff as SAP seems to be more professional company.
What exactly are you basing that on?

What exactly are you basing that on?
Well I know many guys (in different industries) who are using SAP ERP systems and none of them had any major issues which are "buggy-type" as is the case with some of MS solutions. Of course being a pure MS user (I use Windows only) there are many good things but the whole MS stuff seems bloated and always hard to find stuff in "precise way" - specially help/support on any issues.

Well guess well..... After lot of struggle I finally got the version "Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportViewerControl.Winforms 150.1400.0" working for me.
Very happy that the annoying issues are solved and now my reporting is working fine. Gonna save this configuration to avoid future issues. :cool:

This my have changed over the past years, but as I recall SAP ERP was not free, and it was actually quite expensive if you took into account the full investment needed to use SAP (software licenses, maintenance fees, plus the "optional" consultants for initial install and configuration who end up being "required" almost fulltime.).

Well guess well..... After lot of struggle I finally got the version "Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportViewerControl.Winforms 150.1400.0" working for me.
Very happy that the annoying issues are solved and now my reporting is working fine. Gonna save this configuration to avoid future issues. :cool:
Given that that is the latest, were you not using it to begin with and, if not, why not?

Hi sorry for late response. Initially when I started to use 150.1400.0 it was buggy in a sense that sometimes it won't even show the drop location. Like once I select it from the toolbox it wont' draw the reporting area. Then i uninstalled and reinstalled previous versions. Didn't work either. But somehow maybe due to update of Visual Studio or the 150.1400.0 version itself (I don't know if guys update these component behind the scenes without new version numbers or is it that for every update the version number SHOULD update), the thing start working perfectly. So far working well till date.

Back
Top Bottom