Server in Desktop Application

Edy

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi
I ask for your opinion.
i am working on a project.
the project looks like this.
one server manages several clients. the clients could be software modules as well as hardware modules. the software clients get data from hardware modules, process them and send the result back or forward it to a software module.
the question is.
Should I implement a server myself or is there a service that could run it.
Regards

Attachments

• System.png
    System.png
    18 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
The magic word you are looking for is "bus". The reliability requirements you have for your common bus, will often dictate your decision to "build your own vs. buy/use a premade one". A simple circular buffer in memory often works well enough as a bus if you don't have high reliability needs.

If you decide to not write your own, the next magic word you are looking for is "queue". Almost all of the queuing software can be made to act as a bus. Most versions of Windows have MSMQ built-in, but disabled. There are also some popular open source queues out there like RabbitMQ. I am currently enamored by NetMQ, but the learning curve maybe to steep for what you need.

it is not clear how this is a C$ question.

Thank you for your answer.
what about wcf.
is it possible to use a desktop WCF service for the communication?
N.B.
all client are in one network and I don't have web access.
Regards

WCF is a communications framework. You can build a bus using WCF. Personally, I think that it is overengineered. And besides, Microsoft is telling people to move away from it and go to gRPC instead.

Back
Top Bottom