Stop Property Values being changed by scrolling (Visual Studio 2019)

Glenn

Programming Experience
10+
Is there an option to stop a property value being changed by scrolling once you have selected a propterty field (VS 2019)? Thanks.

You would have to override the control and change it's default behavior. Consider the accessibility implications of changing this experience. What if a user with a disability can only use the down arrow/up arrow and view items one at a time? By locking them to the first item they selected, they won't be able to go see the other options.

Last edited:
I think OP means Properties window in designer. If so, I'm not aware of such option, if you select the property you can scroll properties window, if you select a property value it will scroll values when there is a set of alternatives.

I think OP means Properties window in designer. If so, I'm not aware of such option, if you select the property you can scroll properties window, if you select a property value it will scroll values when there is a set of alternatives.
Yes this is what I meant, thanks. I find myself (usually when working quickly) accidentally changing properties when I think I've selected the scroll band on the right and try to move up and down with the scroll wheel. Most I can easily reset, but the many obscure and unused ones I sometimes don't know how to easily reset.

Source control should be able to catch those differences, but that would be the worse case fallback.

I don't use the designer anymore, but I assume that the designer still acts like a true Windows dialog, and not like a Web 2.0-style settings dialog. The Windows design guidelines say that dialogs should offer both an OK/Save button and a Cancel button. Cancelling should not save any of the changes you had made. Alas, the Web 2.0 settings type dialogs I've encountered lately only have an X in the top right corner. Settings are saved instantly. No opportunity to undo any of changes made.

when I think I've selected the scroll band
Just click any property name and scroll wheel, half the Properties window is much easier to hit than the small bar :)

Source control should be able to catch those differences, but that would be the worse case fallback.

I don't use the designer anymore, but I assume that the designer still acts like a true Windows dialog, and not like a Web 2.0-style settings dialog. The Windows design guidelines say that dialogs should offer both an OK/Save button and a Cancel button. Cancelling should not save any of the changes you had made. Alas, the Web 2.0 settings type dialogs I've encountered lately only have an X in the top right corner. Settings are saved instantly. No opportunity to undo any of changes made.
Thanks, I can usually undo simple mistakes, but (for instance) if a property field with many options you can scroll through a bunch with on turn of the wheel, and how far back do I undo. Cancelling without saving will mean I have to give up all other changes I've made. This is not a critical problem (I don't do this THAT often), but enough of a bother that I wish I could turn off the scrolling selection of property values.

Back
Top Bottom