Answered Taking an VB.NET Winforms app to other Platforms?

Inki

-
Programming Experience
10+
Hi,

New to this world, my background is Java-development - new to the Microsoft ecosystem of available tools etc.
I have taken over an VB.NET application, currently used only by Windows users.
What would be the easiest way to get this application running on lets say (1) Windows and Mac OS (2) + chromebook & Linux ?

Is this possible, if so - how should I start, with a small tiny example as a proof of concept ?

best, i

Wow... double whammy for you. In your other thread, you have a VB6 app, and in this thread you have a VB.NET WinForms app. Your shortest path maybe Xamarin.Forms, but that would presume that you can get GTK# working on Linux and ChromeOS, but others will likely have other recommendations to hit your target platforms with minimum code re-writes.

Isn't this C# Forums?

There is a link in my signature which will help you convert the code from VB.Net to C#. If you're not looking to convert the app, then you've posted this on the wrong forum. Use VB.NET Developer Community for VB.Net related questions.

My advice would be to not bother converting, and instead copy the design structure from your previous app and rewrite your code from scratch using the same design structure as your VB.Net app. Other alternatives to Skydiver's better recommendation is to use Mono. You will need Xamarin's MonoTouch for iOS support (docs), in which case you might just be better using Xamarin. Other alternatives are to use Avalonia UI Framework.

Isn't this C# Forums?
OP may be converting apps : Porting a Winforms-application from Win7&VB6 to Win10 & C#.NET

Last edited:
Wow... double whammy for you. In your other thread, you have a VB6 app, and in this thread you have a VB.NET WinForms app. Your shortest path maybe Xamarin.Forms, but that would presume that you can get GTK# working on Linux and ChromeOS, but others will likely have other recommendations to hit your target platforms with minimum code re-writes.

Thanks Skidiver,
And thank you for your concerns.
I am faced with up to 10 VB6 application (used inhouse, not 'large' by any sense, for dealing with an 'archive' ) which I would like to transform to C#.NET
- the previous developer did finish 1 application, which he transformed to VB.NET.
no whammy here and no double whammy :)
I guess I could wait with that being ported to other platforms, need to get the priorities right .

best, i

VB.NET is already in the .NET Platform. It compiles into the same IL that C#, F#, and IronPython compile into.

Last edited:
Inki have you not read the reply i gave you?

Not really a fan of those automatic conversion programs, If I am going to maintain these programs then I want
to walk through them one by one. Convert them and learn.
Another suggestion I got from a former colleague is to package the application in docker and make it accessible via a browser.

-i

Back
Top Bottom