Visual Studio Team Explorer - show history of all branches?

Programming Experience
10+
In Visual Studio 2019 Team Explorer is there a way to show all branches of a project simultaneously in the History View?

The obvious way to do this would be to right-click the root project in the "Branches" view, then click "View history" for the root project.

However the result of that is to "View history" of the checked-out branch, rather than a view of all branches.

There are no view options icons in the History View that help with this.

This would be useful in knowing the relationships between the various branches of the project.

I understand there is a way to compare two branches but that is not what I am looking for.

Thanks.

I don't think there is a away to do that with out of the box Visual Studio. Personally, I used to use Atlassian's SourceTree exclusively until it all went to crap about a year ago. I tried a few other GUI's for git as well as some scripts for visualizing branches on the console. I've settled on Gitkraken as my new preferred git visualizer.

Anyway, I think just like that there are a ton of standalone git visualizers, I would not be surprised is some of them are are available as Visual Studio addins.

In the update for this week of VS 2019 there is a new preview feature for some new Git explorer that may be leading the path towards what we need. I don't know much about it, just updated last night and went through some VS options and found it.

Back
Top Bottom