What are you listening to right now???

NoUserHere

Programming Experience
10+
Day off today. So since I am not doing a lot. Just making minor adjustments to some personal projects. I thought we could share what we are currently listening too. Besides, most forums have a music topic. What types of music do you like, share them here

I like all forms of music really. Except heavy metal. I like to listen to trance music when programming, and if its a tense day, I will slip on some Enya. Any Enya fans here?

Happy posting! ;)

I have a subscription to Digitally Imported (di.fm) and I listen to that almost exclusively. Mostly the Dubstep, PsyChill and LoFi Hip-Hop channels, although I also listen to others including Ambient and Dark DnB. There's something for every mood. I generally listen to stuff without lyrics while working as I find that aids my concentration by fading out the background noise without drawing may attention specifically.

I mostly listen to Spotify playlists in genres rock, metal or electronic at home and when out walking or running, and never listen to music at work. Sometimes pop or folk or even classical, but stay clear of country and opera. I prefer music with vocals, but don't care much about the words they're singing :) Music has played a great part in my life ever since childhood, and in younger days I also played piano and guitar - including in a metal band ? Has always enjoyed going to live concerts too.

When programming home I do listen to music, I consider that as hobby and not work :)

Last edited:
I generally listen to stuff without lyrics while working as I find that aids my concentration by fading out the background noise without drawing may attention specifically.
Di is great, especially the trance channels. As I listen to it too, but i also use Spotify. The only thing about that; is them pesky 30 second annoying adverts Spotify run. I don't see paying for a subscription as worth it, so I just suck it up when they start whacking adds out. I also listen to music without lyrics as I also find lyrics distracting otherwise, unless its Gareth Emery, or Dash Berlin, then exceptions are made. I'm a big fan of Gareth's stuff. So we are very alike in that sense. :)

Has always enjoyed going to live concerts too.
What types of concerts you been too John? I'm not a big 'concert goer' myself. I've only ever seen Rod Stewart live once, as I like Rod's music. I guess I just don't go to concerts because of the overcrowding, and groups of drunks attending them.

Last edited:
Mostly club concerts, some festivals. I must have experienced a hundred concerts through the years.

If you haven't already, I definitely recommend listening to James Blake.

My partner is a big fan of live music so most of the concerts I've been to have been her idea. I generally enjoy them but it's not something I'd generally pursue myself. We once went to a venue quite close to our place to see The Butterfly Effect, who are fairly heavy musically but with very melodic vocals. I enjoyed them but I was really tired at the time and I'm like a toddler in that I can sleep anywhere when I'm in that state. Apparently a guy in front of us was really into it and turned around to share his excitement and couldn't process that I was sleeping through it. Probably ruined his night, poor guy.

Some of 'James Blakes' stuff is alright, like :

As for the 'butterfly effect'. It's not a band I've heard of before. Is this the type of music you're talking about?

- I actually like some of this music too. I find it relaxing. I also sometimes listen to music like this when i am writing code and having some wine. I find it goes down well, and really helps set a nice mellow mood. Although I'm more in favor of non-vocal music. Genres like rnb, trance, classic dance, as It helps me focus more on what I'm working on.

Upon looking up the butterfly effect, I came across this dude called 'Travis Scott', and some of his music videos are mesmerizing : - Although I don't think I landed on what you meant. :)

From what I've been reading, The Butterfly Effect have been out of action for a while but have recently returned with a new lead singer and here's a recent example of their work:

Not the sort of stuff that I generally go out of my way to listen to but I enjoyed them well enough.

Have a go at that!

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard is hands down the best and most prolific rock band of the last decade. 5 albums out just in 2017, 15 albums total since 2012. This video is a sample of a few of their albums:

They span a wide variety of genres, so you can also get this from them:

Or this:

Or even this:

Last edited:
@Herman their Flying Microtonal Banana album where Nuclear Fusion is from has a wonderful East meet West sound to it.

@Herman their Flying Microtonal Banana album where Nuclear Fusion is from has a wonderful East meet West sound to it.

Yeah it's awesome, but honestly all their albums are awesome. Flying Microtonal Banana was heavily influenced from Turkish Anatolian rock from the 70's. My favorite album is Polygondwanaland though, and on that one the theme is polyrhythmic prog rock. Close second is Murder Of The Universe. Polygondwanaland was released free and open-source too!

I am a fan of all 70's 80's bands as well. Dire Straits, ACDC, Queen, Meat Loaf, Bruce Springsteen to name a few...

And I think Billy Joel's We didn't start the fire would be up there on my 80's playlist along with Queen.

Going back, Queen would be one of my favorite artists. He is also one of few singers who are able to sing with a 5 octave vocal range. Definitely one of the better entertainers of those days in my humble opinion.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard is hands down the best and most prolific rock band of the last decade.
I've never actually heard of them until now. Not exactly my type of music to be honest. I do like rock, but only if its from back in the day. Now I wouldn't turn it off if It came on Spotify or something, but my preferred music of all would reside in the Trance Genre like Gareth Emery or Dash Berlin ?

Any fans here for any of these?

Back
Top Bottom