Where to go from here?

jonin

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello everybody,

Been learning more about c# as of late, had a bit of java experience but that aside im also into some front end development.

i like c# as a language (What i seen of it) and also use it a lot with Unity game engine which i must admit i been spending too much time on as of late, time to get serious again :)

i want to use c# based framework to get html/css/javascript projects able to use a database, prob sql or something similar.
This is really to improve my skills, i dont work in the industry. Want to just make some web apps that also can work on phone.

i just have a couple of questions:

1) What framework should i be using? .net core?

2) Is ASP.net dead, dying or breathing its last few breaths?

if anybody has any advice or recommendations please let me know.

Sorry for the bad english, is not my first language.

Thank you for reading

1) What framework should i be using? .net core?
You could use .NET Framework 4.8 but I would suggest using .NET Core 3.1. It does depend what server you're intending to host on (if you do indeed intend to host it somewhere) and what they support but, all else being equal, that would be my recommendation. .NET Core and .NET Framework will be merged with .NET 5 so you may as well get used to how things will work now.
2) Is ASP.net dead, dying or breathing its last few breaths?
Not even close. ASP.NET is not what you think. You are probably thinking of just Web Forms but ASP.NET is much bigger than that. Web Forms is pretty much dead but you can make ASP.NET apps of various other kinds. Most likely, you'll want to create an MVC app for a web site and a Web API app for a web service, both of which are part of ASP.NET.

.NET Core 3.1. It does depend what server you're intending to host on
thanks so much for the reply, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject.

im sorry i dont understand, what is hosted on a server? do you mean my web server ie my web hosting company server?

Im also looking at java spring boot, i know you are a c# person, but have you any personal opinion on these two technologies?

lastly, is all this stuff free to use?

thanks again

Im also looking at java spring boot
If you're going that route, consider ASP/Vue or Java and React JS since Java very closely resembles C#.
what is hosted on a server? do you mean my web server ie my web hosting company server?
He's saying you could run it on a Linux based server, or a windows server. However, Windows servers are way more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom