Resolved Which VS C# project type creates Form1.resx?

bhs67

Programming Experience
10+
I switched to WPF many years ago ... do not recall which project template I selected that creates: Form1.cs ... Form1.Designer.cs ... Form1.resx.

File => New => Project => ???

Solution
Take the following with a big grain of salt since I've not used the WinForms Designer since VS2010. I believe that if you try to set the icon for the form with a custom icon, or put in a picture box with a custom picture, the Designer will automatically create the .RESX file for you. Or you could just explicitly add a resource to the project and it'll also create a .RESX file for you, but I think it'll be ProjectName.resx, instead of Form1.resx.

Skydiver

Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
WinForms, not WPF prefers to create .RESX files by default when you add resource. In general, though, with any project type you can add a resource and .RESX files will also be generated.

bhs67

Programming Experience
10+
I understand. Which WinForms project template automatically creates: Form1.resx. I've tried a variety of Windows Forms App (.NET Framework) to no avail. I'm doing this to follow a YouTube Tutorial.

Skydiver

Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Take the following with a big grain of salt since I've not used the WinForms Designer since VS2010. I believe that if you try to set the icon for the form with a custom icon, or put in a picture box with a custom picture, the Designer will automatically create the .RESX file for you. Or you could just explicitly add a resource to the project and it'll also create a .RESX file for you, but I think it'll be ProjectName.resx, instead of Form1.resx.

Solution

bhs67

Programming Experience
10+
That's it! Dragging a button onto the form creates the resx. I did not remember that ... too long ago. Thanks!!!

Top Bottom