Answered Wpf .net vs wpf .net core

hed bisker

Programming Experience
1-3
What is actually the difference between both?

If I have experience with Wpf .net can I say that I have experience with wpf .net core?

WPF is basically the same regardless. .NET Core is a new implementation of .NET, a primary advantage of which is that, rather than your users having to have the entire .NET Framework base class library installed on their system, you can deploy only the assemblies you need with your application. Each .NET technology that we are used to being supported under the .NET Framework, e.g. ASP.NET, Console, Windows Forms and WPF, had to be ported separately to .NET Core. .NET Core 3.x had some support for WinForms and WPF but that is now pretty much complete in .NET 5.0. Whatever you did in WPF apps before against .NET Framework 4.8, you should now be able to do against .NET 5.0, which is the latest evolution of .NET Core. There will be a few exceptions here and there and there will also be some new stuff, but it's basically the same for the most part. If you have experience with WPF then you have experience with WPF. Any slight variations will be able to be picked up fairly quickly. I would suggest that you create a simple test project to see if there are any differences that stand out and to reassure yourself that there's nothing to worry about.

WPF is basically the same regardless. .NET Core is a new implementation of .NET, a primary advantage of which is that, rather than your users having to have the entire .NET Framework base class library installed on their system, you can deploy only the assemblies you need with your application. Each .NET technology that we are used to being supported under the .NET Framework, e.g. ASP.NET, Console, Windows Forms and WPF, had to be ported separately to .NET Core. .NET Core 3.x had some support for WinForms and WPF but that is now pretty much complete in .NET 5.0. Whatever you did in WPF apps before against .NET Framework 4.8, you should now be able to do against .NET 5.0, which is the latest evolution of .NET Core. There will be a few exceptions here and there and there will also be some new stuff, but it's basically the same for the most part. If you have experience with WPF then you have experience with WPF. Any slight variations will be able to be picked up fairly quickly. I would suggest that you create a simple test project to see if there are any differences that stand out and to reassure yourself that there's nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

Also, originally, .NET Core apps which are distributed as framework dependent (e.g. NOT self-contained), would not be affected by the monthly Windows Updates. Microsoft has just recently announced that starting soon, they will start pushing out monthly patches for .NET Core via Windows Update just like the way they do for .NET Framework. In theory, patches should not break things, but in reality, and Microsoft's poor track record the past two years, patches have been breaking things.

So depending on your needs, and your testing capacity, you'll now need to choose whether you need release as self-contained or not.

Yeah, the WPF Core etc. is very confusing and misleading. You would think woohoo we can run WPF apps on macOS which would be great. But that's not the case. But when you start mixing technologies you have a problem such as using EF Core (which I love) now you have to ensure the right .NET Standard and .NET 5's are in use. .NET Standard has become a mess (I'm digressing) as it needs .NET Standard 2.1 now. I just went through this in my architecture, all is good, but it is a confusing situation.

Back
Top Bottom