Resolved 2022 visual studio community question

C# learner

Programming Experience
Beginner
Is 2022 Visual Studio Community using C# just for windows development or can a C# parsing program to create a workfile be used?

What do you mean by "workfile"?

But in general Visual Studio in not for just Windows development. You can use it to various kinds of programs: web, mobile, console, IoT, etc.

Yes, Visual Studio can be used to write a C# program that generates a .CSV file.

Every time I create a project using Community and choosing WPF application, it creates a MainWindow.xaml file. How do I create a .cs Class to run my C# program?

Right click on the.xaml file in the file explorer then select "View code". Or in that XAML design area, you can drag up (or down) a fat border and have a code area.

But why do you need a WPF program if all you need to do is parse some input file and create a .CSV from that? A simple console program should suffice unless you want some fancy progress graphics. If you just need a simple progress bar then you have options.

I had my C# program running in VS Enterprise, but the subscription ran out and I wanted to try to make it work in VS community, which it should. When I try to create a new project in community it asks me for to choose the template to use. Since the program is written in C# and all I want to do is copy it over I looked at the filters to use for C# and the only options are WPF templates. I assumed that for C# you have to run WPF templates. Am I wrong?

Ok here is the issue. When I installed VS Community, I downloaded Blend for Visual Studio Community. I just thought it was another name for VS Community. I now have loaded the true VS Community and copied in the C# program and code is falling into place much better. Only thing I'm having a problem with now is the "using" statements. It wants the more current 9.0 or higher version of the "using" statement. Working on that now. Don't like to be lead down the wrong path.

Found the problem with the using statement by changing the cs.prog program. Things are back in order now. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom