2D Flow Chart

Johnnygx

Programming Experience
5-10
Hello,

I am looking to create an application that will allow the user to create flow chart like components that can be linked with spline 'connectors'. There are a few applications like Bolt and the Unreal Engine (the image attached is from Unreal) that have this functionality. The components can be moved and the connectors stay connected dynamically. Is anyone familiar with any plug-ins for 2D graphics like this? or have any pointers on where to start with creating this. I've done a lot of work with C# but never graphics.

Thanks in advance,
John

Attachments

• Ref_Unreal Editor.png
    Ref_Unreal Editor.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 48
For the record, this is a C# forum, and unreal engine uses c++. If this is a c++ question, you're on the wrong forum.

Are you looking to create something like this using c# instead? Please explain.

For the record, this is a C# forum, and unreal engine uses c++. If this is a c++ question, you're on the wrong forum.

Are you looking to create something like this using c# instead? Please explain.
I get the feeling that that was just an example of the desired end-product, but we'll see.

Off the top of my head both WinForms and WPF have bezier line support. I would think that Xamarin and UWP should have it as well.

Sheepings: Thanks for checking on Xamarin Forms!

So the only questions remaining would be UWP, vanilla Xamarin, and the new WinUI that is in alpha that Microsoft is claiming to be the future of Windows GUI development. (Of course Microsoft said the same thing about Silverlight, WPF, and UWP as well. ;))

As an aside, traditional flow charts don't use splines. The traditionally use straight lines with 90 degree angles, and some modern stylized ones will use a curve at the 90 degree angles.

Thank you all for the replies; sorry for the ambiguity in my post.

jmcilhinney: I was leaning toward a Windows Forms application, I haven't worked with WPF or UWP before but I'll look into those. This would not be for mobile applications, and may result in a many client applications connecting to a server application w/DB. So lightweight client might make more sense and for lack of familiarity avoid a web app at this point.

Sheepings: Regarding the reference image, that was to show what I am looking to mimic in functionality and format, my application would have nothing to do with Unreal Engine.

My preference is to build this in C# but that turns out to have limitations, would look into other options. I'm starting from zero on drawing and interacting with drawn objects.

Have you considered using the automation object model for Visio? Let Visio do all the hard work of drawing and storing the diagram and all you need to deal with is creating and placement of the boxes and their relationships.

Have you considered using the automation object model for Visio? Let Visio do all the hard work of drawing and storing the diagram and all you need to deal with is creating and placement of the boxes and their relationships.
Would that not require a Visio license?

Calling the Visio object model would not. Having an instance of Visio installed to call, yes, that would require a license.

I started with Visio initially, but I need a lot more functionality beyond the graphical representation. I also don't want to be tied to whatever MS decides to do with Visio.

Back
Top Bottom