AND and OR operators?

bigmike2238

Programming Experience
Beginner
If you have time, or come back to this thread, do you have any information on the AND and OR operators? I've had a lot of trouble with this, and wrapping my head around the correct way to use them has been...an exercise in frustration. I'm asking here because I don't want to start a new thread for such a small question. :)

-Mike

What exactly is your issues with them?
Personally I only use the And (&) and the Or (|) operators when doing bit-shift type calculations, for everything else I use the short circuited AndAlso (&&) and the short circuited OrElse (||) as those are more efficient logic handling.

Hi JB,

I guess my problem was understanding exactly what they do. Until I read your post, I thought (Or) was represented by || not |, and (And) was represented by && not &. My frustration is pretty much self-explanatory. I will have to look into what bit-shift calculations are, as this is the first time that I am seeing the term. I pretty much use these for if-then statements that require more than one condition. Thank you for posting back.

- Mike

So you just need an explanation of what these do?

Let's take a look at the singular And (&) and the singular Or (|):
When you need to have logic that checks for multiple conditions and you need to have both (or all) evaluated you would use the & or | for this.
As in:
int x = 1;
int y = 3;
if (x == 0 & y == 3)
Since we used the singular & for this even though it's failed on the first condition (because x is equal to 1) the 2nd condition is still evaluated (it checks to see if y is equal to 3).
We can shortcut this logic by using the short circuited And which is &&:
int x = 1;
int y = 3;
if (x == 0 && y == 3)
Since the first condition still fails the code in this case wont even look at the y equals 3 because that check wont effect the outcome, it's already known to equate to a false overall.
Same thing for the Or/OrElse.
Here's an article explaining this a little more: & vs && and | vs || - MSHN Social
MSDN Social said:
& is a bitwise AND operation
| is a bitwise OR operation
&& is a logical AND
|| is a logical OR
Here's more explanation on bitwise operations: Bitwise Operation - Wikipedia

Hi JB,

Yes! This is what I was looking for. Thank you for explaining the difference between bitwise and logical operators. I will defiantly give these posts a read.

- Mike

Back
Top Bottom