Resolved application + db

Andy75

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all,
I have to develop a web application for a my customer.
Application is intended for 10 users (my customer's customers), maybe 12.
The application requires authentication (login).
Once in the app, the user chooses a list of products to place the order (practically you add objects with the quantities on the database).
My client from his winform application connects to the db and downloads the orders, once a day.
What do you think is the best method to develop everything?
As a C # winform developer I have a hard time deciding.
I thought Azure, but what option?

Thanks for support.
A.

There is no correct answer. There are various options and each has its pros and cons and opinions will vary. I'd be inclined to just start out with a standard MVC app, get a feel for it and see where you might want to branch out from there. Such an app can be hosted in Azure if you want.

My client from his winform application connects to the db and downloads the orders
Should you decide to do your web project on Azure, I would suggest that you think hard about connecting to the directly to the database from WinForms. Doing this would require exposing the database out to the whole Internet so that your WinForms app running on your client's desktop/laptop can connect to that database. That will mean that the raw database is open to the rest of the world as well.

The standard solution is not to connect to the database directly and simply expose a web service which only does the bare necessary functions. (It would be pointless to create a web service that does full CRUD operations because you would be back to the exposed database problem again.) Your WinForms app can then connect to that web service.

I understand.
create an MVC app to host on Azure + SQL.
And create a method to expose to extract the list of items I need.
Good.

Problem is, I don't know where to start :)

Especially how to create the login to allow only those 10 to use the app.

Can you give me advice?
Thanks for your support
A.

Back
Top Bottom