Between two forms...

CuriousGuy

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi everybody,

I have two forms
form1 and form2

On form1 i got 1 textbox and one button.
When i click on that button it open me form2 and there is a DataGridView with some data from my MSSQL DB.
When i do an double click on one row, it should pass the data from the selected row to to the textbox on my form1.
I did it and it works.
But there i got a problem...
It open the form1 twice, what i don't want. I want, that it pass the data to the current open form1.
(I did attack two screenshots)

My codes;
Form1:
C#:
        private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            Form2 frx = new Form2();
            frx.ShowDialog();
        }
Form2:
C#:
private void Form2_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            this.mYRECORDSTableAdapter.Fill(this.okulDataSet1.MyRecords);
        }

private void dataGridView1_CellDoubleClick(object sender, DataGridViewCellEventArgs e)
        {
            Form1 fr = new Form1();
            fr.textBox1.Text = this.dataGridView1.CurrentRow.Cells[1].Value.ToString();
            fr.textBox2.Text = this.dataGridView1.CurrentRow.Cells[2].Value.ToString();
            fr.ShowDialog();
            this.Close();
        }
It's maybe a very noobish question but i really stucked on this point. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 19
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everybody,

I have two forms
form1 and form2

On form1 i got 1 textbox and one button.
When i click on that button it open me form2 and there is a DataGridView with some data from my MSSQL DB.
When i do an double click on one row, it should pass the data from the selected row to to the textbox on my form1.
I did it and it works.
But there i got a problem...
It open the form1 twice, what i don't want. I want, that it pass the data to the current open form1.
(I did attack two screenshots)

My codes;
Form1:

{
Form2 frx = new Form2();
frx.ShowDialog();
}

Form2:

private void Form2_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
this.mYRECORDSTableAdapter.Fill(this.okulDataSet1.MyRecords);
}

private void dataGridView1_CellDoubleClick(object sender, DataGridViewCellEventArgs e)
{
Form1 fr = new Form1();
fr.ShowDialog();
this.Close();
}

It's maybe a very noobish question but i really stucked on this point. Thank you in advance.

Ok i found out how to do it, sorry for disturbing forum. Thread can be closed :)

Form1 :
C#:
        {
            Form2 frx = new Form2();
            //frx.ShowDialog();
           --> frx.ShowDialog(this);
        }
Form2 :

C#:
        {
            //Form1 fr = new Form1();
           --> Form1 fr = (Form1)this.Owner;
            //fr.ShowDialog();
            this.Close();
        }

Last edited by a moderator:
The second form doesn't need to know about the first form, instead you add a property or two to second form that returns the value(s) you want. When dialog returns in first form it can retrieve those values.

Or use the Application.OpenForms collection to find the existing open Form1`
While it can be avoided for example by checking the form Name as string and getting stuff from its Controls collection, using OpenForms often means a type test and/or cast to better interact with the right instance, which then again introduce the two-way coupling/dependency.

And furthermore, makes a unit testing even more difficult. To test one the second form, you need to have the first form up and running. You'll be closer to an integration test rather than a unit test. Essentially, the Application.OpenForms now becomes a facade that hides a global. Unit testing with globals and singletons is hard. Reasoning with globals and singletons is hard when you start having multiple threads, and/or opportunities for re-entrant code.

Back
Top Bottom