Calendar for game, where to start?

binga30

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

Just started learning some c# and found this cool forum. I am planning to build a windows form application game and I would like to know about implementing a calendar, similar to how the game Football Manager works with games taking place on set dates, and the ability to advance time to the next day or week.

Is this something that is part of the .net framework or something I would need to create myself?

Thanks for your time.

Steve

There's no one thing in the Framework that's going to do all that for you but you would build it up with various bits and pieces available in the Framework. Firstly, are you talking about how to store the data and work with it in code or display it to the user because those are two quite different things, despite how closely they work together in the application? As for the date, that's just a matter of using a variable to store a Date value and adding a day to it whenever is appropriate. It's up to you how you want to do that. It may or may not be based on the actual time and date or you may have to advance it manually all the time. You really need to spend a bit of time designing the app from a functionality perspective and then focus on specific parts.

Hi,

The best way to describe it would be to relate to the Football Manager type environment again.
After selecting a team I would like to be able to create an environment where you play multiple games in a season, then progress to offseason duties and then back to a new season. This should be limitless, or go on for say 50 years/seasons.

I imagine starting on a set date (say the 1st January 20XX). I need to create a way to schedule things in the game at future dates, ie: training or games. Navigating to the next event or day is done by pressing the Continue button.

I would need this system to be able to create a new schedule for the next season once the current season is over.

Of course I want to keep statistics on the things that occur on each date historically for many years.

I feel like I'm not explaining it too well, but I have the picture in my head.

I feel like I'm not explaining it too well, but I have the picture in my head.

You need to analyse your requirements and break the problem down into smaller chunks. The question you're asking now is basically "how do I create my application". You need to get to the point where you know exactly what task within that application you're trying to achieve. You can't do anything at the moment because you don't even know what it is that you're trying to do because you're looking at the problem at too high a level. Once you break it down into smaller problems, solving each of those will inherently solve the bigger problem.

Back
Top Bottom