Question Can I call Business Objects from C# WinForms?

tim8w

Programming Experience
10+
My company uses BusinessObjects on top of SQL Server. Is there a way I can call BusinessObject functions from within WinForms C#.Net?

How do you normally call BusinessObjects?

I haven't. I needed data and was not given access to the data directly. The JD Edwards Team ran Business Objects generating an attached CSV file. Unfortunately, that process took 15 minutes and I needed closer to real-time than that so I was given a View on a nearby server. That got me pretty fast access < 2 minutes for most calls. Now IT is moving to Oracle, and I think I will be relegated to Business Objects again and I was hoping that directly accessing Business Objects might still give me relatively fast access...

You'll likely have more success asking your question in an SAP focused forum, but from my light reading, it seems that SAP BusinessObjects offers a REST API. Most REST APIs (unless they are designed by a sadist) are generally accessible by anything can send an HTTP request. The .NET Framework lets you send HTTP requests. WinForms is part of the .NET Framework. Therefore you should be able to get access to to SAP BusinessObjects.

Note that all of my light Google searches have only yielded Java sample code. So chances are that you'll need to translate the Java to C# unless you can find C# examples.

Back
Top Bottom