Question Can I make a play music command from youtube on dsharpplus?

sebi25

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi!
I am making a discord bot using DSharpPlus. I want to make a command which will play music directly from youtube through a link. Can somebody help me with how I can make that, giving me tips, please?

Personally, I would double check first that I am not violating the terms of use of both YouTube and Discord by playing the audio from YouTube directly into Discord.

Personally, I would double check first that I am not violating the terms of use of both YouTube and Discord by playing the audio from YouTube directly into Discord.
Hi! A lot of discord bots are having this command, so I do not think it is illegal :)).

A lot of people were also using Napster and we know that was not legal...

Update: From YouTube's Terms of Service:
Permissions and Restrictions
You may access and use the Service as made available to you, as long as you comply with this Agreement and applicable law. You may view or listen to Content for your personal, non-commercial use. You may also show YouTube videos through the embeddable YouTube player.

The following restrictions apply to your use of the Service. You are not allowed to:

1. access, reproduce, download, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, alter, modify or otherwise use any part of the Service or any Content except: (a) as expressly authorized by the Service; or (b) with prior written permission from YouTube and, if applicable, the respective rights holders;
:
3. access the Service using any automated means (such as robots, botnets or scrapers) except (a) in the case of public search engines, in accordance with YouTube’s robots.txt file; or (b) with YouTube’s prior written permission;
:
9. use the Service to view or listen to Content other than for personal, non-commercial use (for example, you may not publicly screen videos or stream music from the Service); ...

Last edited:
Discord themselves would encourage using bots because they are highly effective on large servers with large amounts of users.

To embed a youtube video in discord also wouldn't be any different to embedding it on any other website. And given discord is actually a website, with a C++ wrapper around it, (most people don't know that), but there would be no issues with this as it's no different to embedding content on any other website.

@OP - I assume you dived in at the deep end on the first listing on google for how to make a discord bot, but didn't anticipate what other requirements would be needed to embed music vodeos in the chat or play music from the stream to your discord music channel? If the later is what you are doing, then you are breaching youtubes terms of service. If it's the prior, there is no breach of tos on either side. Note that it is required to have a license to stream commercial/copyright music on the net.

And on that note, I doubt your school would be dumb enough to ask you to break the law. At a glance, the link above looks like it might do what you want.

But the OP is not trying to embed a YouTube video player. In the OP he says:
play music directly from youtube through a link
He just wants to get the audio track and broadcast the audio into Discord.

If the later is what you are doing, then you are breaching youtubes terms of service. If it's the prior, there is no breach of tos on either side. Note that it is required to have a license to stream commercial/copyright music on the net.
Do you think I'm blind?

That's why I said it's required to have a license to stream monetized music online. Because I am aware that he is trying to stream music in the same way as you would stream your voice to a channel...

Just because discord don't have a policy against it, does not make it legal. 3 Best Public Discord Bots To Play Music In Your Server. See quote from link :
Discord supports both text and voice channels, and with a music bot, you can have a bot join a voice channel and stream music live from YouTube, SoundCloud, and plenty of other sources.
@OP - Each country has regulations against unlicensed streaming. It's a grey area and you can get into trouble for it in most countries. The only reason I know this is because I run a streaming radio station myself and it's no different to what you want to do. The reason discord don't care, is because they haven't been hit by a regulator yet, and also because they are not doing the streaming. You are.

For the most part. Almost everyone has a music bot on discord, so enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

Back
Top Bottom