Click Once without certificate

Scottintexas

Programming Experience
5-10
Is there a way to bypass the signed certificate requirement for click once? I tried to publish without a certificate after I published and signed it myself. Now I get an error that my certificate cannot be found in my certificate store. I can't even find my certificate store. Documentation on line says it is in the HKEY_LOCAL_USER root. I don't see it. I would like to eliminate the certificate. All I need is to have the program check for an update when the user starts it up. It is on an internal network that does not have internet access. Not having published with Click Once ever, I find it a little confusing. The few tutorials or articles I found regarding Click Once in Visual Studio 2022 left me with questions. Like, how does .net 6.0 get installed? I think I have to put the installer in the "Location" folder. So I downloaded what I hope is a real 'Stand Alone' (not on the web) installer. But now I can't publish at all because of this certificate issue. I just want to go back to before I added the signed certificate step.

You'll need to go over the ClickOnce deployment documentation, but there is a way to distribute over a network share, or an internally hosted web site that is considered "trusted". I also vaguely recall there being some kind of Group Policy that can also be pushed out. It's been years since I've had to deal with ClickOnce, though.

I can't find that trusted location method anymore in the docs. Must have been an elegant method for a more civilized age.

Thanks for looking at this, Skydiver. I have to find the certificate registration file and eliminate any reference to this program. I think the first time I did it I created a reference somewhere and now it keeps going back to it so I cannot start over.

Run certmgr.msc

Back
Top Bottom