Connecting to an internet database

Desmond56

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi. Back in 2000 I wrote a desktop application to connect to a database, open up a word document and populate it using the functions built into office. create word object, change to landscape etc. I need to do that again using VS2008 and a MySQL database on my website system. I believe I will need to set up connection strings and a database control but I don't know where to start here.

Yes. I have a website with 5 MySQL database's I connect using webpages and connection strings. I would like to connect to them via a C# or vb.net desktop application. I should be able to iterate through a database table or the result of a query involving several tables.

Firstly, is your Windows application connecting to the database directly or is it calling a web service that connects to the database?

I made it abundantly clear that That I was using the internet LOOK "MySQL database on my website"

Yes my application which I have not wriiten yet is directly connected to the database via fiber optic cable telephone wires and probably some radio waves. Is that clearer???

Firstly, is your Windows application connecting to the database directly or is it calling a web service that connects to the database?

I made it abundantly clear that That I was using the internet LOOK "MySQL database on my website"

Yes my application which I have not wriiten yet is directly connected to the database via fiber optic cable telephone wires and probably some radio waves. Is that clearer???
Yes, you've said that, but it doesn't answer the question: Are you connecting to the database(s) on your website directly? OR are you going to connect via a web service? We can't just assume if you're using a web service or not.

No, it's not clearer. The database is still on the web whether you connect directly or via a web service. Instead of being smart about, try actually answering the question that was asked or you'll find that strangers on the web will quickly lose interest in volunteering their time to try to help you. I wouldn't have asked the question if I didn't need the information so, if you want assistance, provide the information requested.

Back
Top Bottom