Debugging keys intercepted by Win11.

JonJacobs

Programming Experience
10+
On my Win11 machine, debugging is hindered because Windows intercepts F10 and F11. F10 gives me a settings window and F11 puts me in the lock screen. What should I do to make debugging easier? Going to the Debug menu every time I want to Step Over, etc. is a a pain.
Thanks, Jon

F10 and F11 works fine on my Win11 box. I suspect that it is not Windows 11, but rather you have some bit of bloatware on your machine that is intercepting the key presses as hotkeys.

Solution
If your laptop is a Lenovo, the ones made after 2019 default to the function keys acting as special hotkeys, and you need to explicitly press Fn to get the F1-F12 functionality, or you need to engage the Fn-Lock button. As mentioned above, you can go into the BIOS to swap it around so that Fn-Lock is engaged by default. The Lenovo Vantage software also lets you make this setting change without having to go into the BIOS.

If you have a Logitech keyboard, and you installed versions of Logi Options after Mar 2024, the default settings is also to treat the function keys as special hotkeys. You need to go into the Settings menu of Logi Options of treat the function keys as true function keys. (I'm embarrassed to say that I opened LogiTech ticket for this issue and they had me install and uninstall the Logi Options, drivers, plug and unplug the keyboard, etc. for about two weeks. I just stumbled on the setting one evening and told them what the solution was.)

If your laptop is a Lenovo, the ones made after 2019 default to the function keys acting as special hotkeys, and you need to explicitly press Fn to get the F1-F12 functionality, or you need to engage the Fn-Lock button. As mentioned above, you can go into the BIOS to swap it around so that Fn-Lock is engaged by default. The Lenovo Vantage software also lets you make this setting change without having to go into the BIOS.

If you have a Logitech keyboard, and you installed versions of Logi Options after Mar 2024, the default settings is also to treat the function keys as special hotkeys. You need to go into the Settings menu of Logi Options of treat the function keys as true function keys. (I'm embarrassed to say that I opened LogiTech ticket for this issue and they had me install and uninstall the Logi Options, drivers, plug and unplug the keyboard, etc. for about two weeks. I just stumbled on the setting one evening and told them what the solution was.)

My keyboard is HP, as is the computer, but it did that also. Now I know to use FN + function keys.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom