disk troubles

Gloops

Programming Experience
10+
The eventvwr tells me ten times a second that my disk has a defective sector, and CHKDSK tells that no error was found, no action is required.

Easy, is not it?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I recall, chkdsk looks at cluster chains and the file tables. It doesn't verify individual sectors.

Oh, this is a possible explanation. Another can be an error of SQL Express.
I presume I now have to search for tools to verify the integrity of the disk. And it can take time if it has to write each sector and read to see if it finds what it has written.
And then re-write what it has found when arriving.
And ... All this less than one year and a half of age of the machine.

If you can get the SMART diagnostics for your hard drive, it will tell you right away about the condition of error sectors for your hard drive. If you are getting events in your event log, that would mean that the hard drive has exhausted its collection of "spare" sectors that it holds in reserve for when sectors go bad. The harddrive onboard software does transparent replacements of bad sectors so that the OS never actual sees that there was a failure. There is a limited number of these replacement sectors that the hardware can do, though before it has no recourse but to alert the OS that a failure occurred.

I once had a machine with a disk in such a condition that it was useless to insist. But it was after 10 years with a very cheap machine. Not 15 months on a scaled one.
I presume I have to launch the SMART tests from the start menu of the machine. I shall have to try a few keys by chance, I do not know the exact way to call it. And it is an assembler machine, so you cannot guess as with a big trademark.

By start menu of the machine I mean BIOS menu.
You are going to laugh, but I think the most simple is to ask the seller how to enter it.
When the constructor logo was displayed I tried del, ins, pause, end, F2, esc ...

I'm still a big fan of Gibson's SpinRite even after all these years. I believe that not only will it do sector tests for you, it can also query the SMART diagnostics.

Back
Top Bottom