download a installer

old_man

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have two desktop that I want to put Visual Studio on. I have very slow internet service.
I want to take my laptop to the coffee shop where they have very fast service. I need a place where I can download a installer.exe for Visual Studio. I have looked all over MS and can't find one. I hope someone here can help.
Thank you
renny

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/

I just went to the MSDN web site, which every .NET developer should have on the shortcut bar on their browser, and clicked on Visual Studio and there it was.

Sorry, I misunderstood the original post. I think this is the information you need:

Install Visual Studio 2017 on low bandwidth or unreliable network environments

Note that there is no single installer that you can download and run offline, presumably because (as they say on that page) a full-featured installer is very, VERY big. The process they provide allows you to download just the components you need.

After some digging around I'm not able to find a full VS 2017 ISO for downloading, I'm really not sure why MS decided to not provide that this time around and it's really unfortunate too.
What I did find is they give you instructions on how to make the full ISO for offline and network admin installations: Create a network-based installation of Visual Studio - Visual Studio | Microsoft Docs

You will need to make a folder to download all of the pieces for everything you will want in your ISO then run the commandline tool (Download the Visual Studio bootstrapper) to bring those pieces together into the single file that you can then copy to the computers you want to install this on.

I think it's really dumb that they don't provide the full ISO anymore though.

I'm really not sure why MS decided to not provide that this time around and it's really unfortunate too.
What I did find is they give you instructions on how to make the full ISO for offline and network admin installations: Create a network-based installation of Visual Studio - Visual Studio | Microsoft Docs

That page links to the one I posted for the actual instructions. On the page I linked to it says this:
A complete Visual Studio 2017 layout requires at least 35 GB of disk space and can take some time to download.
That's why they don't provide an ISO. If they were to do so then they'd have to provide everything that anyone might want, which is vastly more than almost anyone will want. By doing it the way they have, each person gets to create their own ISO that contains everything they need and nothing they don't.

thank you
I am not sure I want to try that yet, I can download Visual Studio Community at my house in about 13 to 15 hours and it is only 1.5 G. I think I will just do that.
Thanks again for your time.

I can download Visual Studio Community at my house in about 13 to 15 hours and it is only 1.5 G.

Do you mean that you can use the web installer, select the desired workloads and features and then it will pull down 1.5 GB? That's basically what that process is doing too. For instance, when it refers to Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.ManagedDesktop, that's the same ".NET desktop development" item that you check on the Workloads page of the installer in order to be able to create Windows Forms projects.

The names of all the available workloads and features can be found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/workload-component-id-vs-community

So now you have to do another 12 hour download of 1.5 GB whereas if you had followed those instructions you'd now have an ISO that you could have used to install on both machines. Anyway, what you do is up to you.

Back
Top Bottom