edmx in .net core

Siwar Ha

Programming Experience
Beginner
im new to .net core and im trying to add edmx to my project and this is not available for .net core
i want to know if .net core is always code-first and i need to write all by code ?

I have 3 layers for my application :

1. DATALAYER
2. SERVICELAYER
3. AND API
All in .net core

what should i implement in each one ? and itd not an mvc app

thanks

I am assuming you are using Entity Framework?
and itd not an mvc app
Sadly that doesn't really matter. DNC does not support EDMX just yet in EF6. Using the code-first approach would generally generate the required class files instead. I believe there are plans to provide this eventually, including the templated diagrams but as far as I know, its still in development because of the actual frameworks is still behind in the development stages.

I say this in all of my posts regarding using EF6. But you really shouldn't use Entity Frameworks because there are still a number of memory leak issues yet to be addressed. Dapper is a good alternative since it's much more stable, but its also not perfect either. Or if you are as old-fashioned as I am just old, then just stick with crud operations which is what I mostly do unless there is a client request for me to use EF6 specifically.

I also don't advise developing web apps in DNC. You will find it is far to premature to be used to develop and finish a web app successfully.

and itd not an mvc app
Does that mean that it's Web API, Web Forms or something else? If it's Web API then that's pretty much MVC without views, so everything else is pretty much the same. If it's Web Forms, just... why? ;)

i want to know if .net core is always code-first and i need to write all by code ?
Entity Frame in .NET Core all supports reverse engineering an existing database back into EF entities.

But no, currently EF doesn't support .EDMX for .NET Core. The target audience of .NET Core is not Windows users, but rather the rest of the open source community with tends to run on Linux based machines. Since .EDMX is used by Visual Studio, and you don't have Visual Studio on those other systems (unless it's a Mac), then it would not really be a priority for the EF team.

Back
Top Bottom