Exercises for beginners

WB1975

Programming Experience
Beginner
Does anybody know where there are any good exercises for beginners
im not talking about quick exercises but more word problem ones that are more like mini projects

something like an address book or something similar, cant seem to find any.

Cant someone suggest some, and then us beginners can have a go, then we can see how the pros do them.
Not much on youtube either, there was a great one on a bank system, but it was pretty poor in way of explanation.

Does this site offer anything like im suggesting?

The two top places are Project Euler and Rosalind. I'm more partial to Rosalind because it actually covers more of algorithms and data structures, whereas Project Euler is about math tricks. Actually, let me clarify: With Project Euler, the problems can be solved using data structures and algorithms, but if you compare your solutions times with the best solution times, they are several orders of magnitude difference. The reason is that Project Euler expects you to not just solve the problem, but not solve it using brute force, but either have some deep mathematical insight like Euler, or have been taught the trick to compute things much faster.

Check out both. See which one gets you more interested. It doesn't matter to me if you end up liking Project Euler more than Rosalind. What matters is that it gets you to thinking and practicing writing code.

Back
Top Bottom